Chapter Thirty

Swayde checked the time on his phone once again. It was almost lunch time. His time window for making his much needed trip into town was quickly dwindling. The trip required about an hour and a half drive, because this was not an errand that he could go to downtown Alpine Ridge for. No, no this trip required a bigger, nicer, fancier town where not every single person knew Swayde. He didn't want the news of his errand getting back to Renne somehow, before she found out what it was that he was getting. 

           This morning, Kyle had called Swayde, desperate for some help branding and vaccinating some calves. On the phone, Kyle had said it would only be about twenty calves, but as he looked at the calves crowding in the pen, Swayde easily counted eighty. 

          "Twenty, my butt." Swayde mumbled as he prepared his rope to catch the next calf. At least they only had about twenty calves left. The group of five made quick work. Kyle had enlisted the help of his wife, Swayde, and two of his nephews - the only people available today to drop everything and come and help. Swayde was quickly regretting his decision to come and help, only because he had a very important trip into town that he needed to make, and it certainly wasn't one he wanted to rush through. 

           Instead of complaining, Swayde just kept his mouth shut, as he roped another calf around the hind legs, dragging him out of the pen to where Kyle's two nephews caught the calf, one resting his knee on the calf's neck, holding it's two front legs, while the other nephew released the rope from his back legs, holding them out straight as Kyle came by with the branding iron, and his wife had the marker and syringe ready. 

         The group knew what they were doing, only taking thirty seconds or less per calf. 

        After about another hour, Swayde had his horse loaded in his trailer, helped everyone clean up and let the cattle out of the pen, leaving only a few tasks to do, which Kyle's wife said they would handle. While Swayde was getting in his truck, and buckling his seat belt, Kyle came jogging over, handing Swayde a check, for his help. That was the last thing Swayde was expecting; he honestly enjoyed helping people when he could, that's what neighbors did out here, but even more, Swayde knew better than to try turning down the check. With a "thank you," Swayde tucked the check in his wallet, quickly pointing his truck towards his ranch. 

          Unloading his horse, he untacked him, and sent him out to the pasture before unhooking his trailer. Jogging into his house, Swayde quickly changed out of his dirty shirt, rolled on some deodorant, slipped into a clean shirt, sprayed on some cologne, and put on a different cowboy hat. 

        His jeans probably needed changed, but he had worn his chinks when he was riding, so they weren't too bad. But time was running out, and he still had to stop at the bank, and the gas station on his trip to town. 

         Getting back in his truck, Swayde turned on the air conditioning, so he wouldn't start sweating before he got to town. However, his plan failed. The closer he got to town, the more nervous he grew; his truck cab was cool, but his nerves made him perspire. 

      After what seemed like an eternity, Swayde's truck came to a stop in front of the store he needed to go to. His stomach was turning in knots. Taking a big gulp of water from his cup, Swayde took a deep breath as he stared at the store. "Alright, come on, cowboy, you got this. Nothing to be nervous about." He gave himself the pep talk. Finally, Swayde shut off his truck, and entered the store before he could talk himself out of it. 

         As soon as he walked in, he was greeted by a middle aged lady, smiling from ear to ear. "Hi, there, how can I help you today?" 

          "Hey there." Swayde looked around the shop. "I am lookin' to buy an engagement ring today."