𝒅𝒊𝒔𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔

"𝐖𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧'𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐮𝐲𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥?"

_______________________________

You stood silently gazing at the boys playing volleyball in front of you, practically motionless; the boy's shouts blending together like white noise. The smell of the gym was clouded by the stench of sweaty boys, proving to be unpleasant as you zoned out. You had not processed any of the information you were given over the weekend, and it felt like your brain was trying to convince you that it wasn't true. Repeatedly making you relive the fact that Akaashi's dad was truly in the hospital.

     "Are you alright?" Kai softly pant, resting his hands on his knees to bend down and see your face. His sudden presence surprised you. Jumping at his words you reassured Kai that you were okay and took his water bottle to fill.

     You lowered yourself down to sit on the bleachers to ease your legs, continuing to watch the boys with utter disinterest and dissociation. You sighed, grasping onto the edge of the bleachers. Scratching away at the pliable material, you stared back off into the distance. You were supposed to be tallying the score but, the boys were too involved in their own world that they hadn't even noticed when you stopped taking track.

     You thought of the weekend's climax. Not much had happened after the depressing discovery. Sleeping in the same bed with Akaashi didn't seem to be a concern anymore. You talked with one another till you both grew too tired to keep your eyes open. You woke up without getting a wink of sleep.

     Bokuto picked the two of you up not too early in the morning, as well as not too on time. You gave the boys quick farewells to not miss the train and became numb the further away you traveled. The soft vibration of the train clouded your thoughts as you tried so desperately to keep yourself together. You remembered the bright morning sun peaking through the windows across from you. You stayed lost in thought recalling the previous events until a shadow came across your face.

     "Hello?" Kenma waved his hand over your blank expression and returned you back to reality. Morning practices were already hard to focus during, this just made it worse. Kenma then shifted to sit next to you as he took a short break. He fanned his face trying to cool down, almost scowling at himself for being overheated.

     "Doing some hard work hm?" You chimed, trying your hardest to show that nothing had changed.

     "No, I just got bored and didn't wanna practice anymore." The blonde scoffed with a soft smile. Kenma looked worn out despite his words. Sweat building on his forehead as he regained his breath, still swatting at his face.

     "Oh, do you want me to fill your water?" You requested, realizing your duties as a manager.

     "Yes, please." Kenma breathed out harshly, laying back on the bleachers while stretching his arm out to hand the water bottle to you.

     As you made your way back to the gym the team was gathered around the sitting Kenma. You could hear Kuroo's outrageously obnoxious voice from a mile away.

     "For the upcoming prelims we need to step up our game," he paused for a moment of what you presumed to be dramatic effect, "on our horrid banner the upperclassman butchered last year."

     You looked up to see Yaku holding up said banner and throwing it down to his teammates below. You stood in silence watching this meeting unfold as condensation from Kenma's water bottle dripped to the floor. You couldn't tell whether you wanted to laugh or sigh in disgust.

     "Shouldn't L/n-san do that? She is the manager after all." Lev stated, pointing over to you with his lanky arms. Your eyes grew wide when the team turned their heads to gawk at you, hating the timing that the abnormally tall boy decided to choose. Feeling awkward, you shuffled back over to Kenma to deliver his awaited drink.

     "Hmmm I suppose that would work but she obviously wouldn't be able to do that alone." Kuroo thought aloud, obviously planning something from the sadistic tone you heard in his voice.

     "Why don't you do it, you are the captain after all." Kenma put it bluntly, causing both you and the rooster head to take a double take. You were too bewitched to even reply to that suggestion. You felt like you had been betrayed as Kenma continued to gulp down the water you fetched.

     "Yeah why not?" Lev chimed in again, "Weren't you guys like best friends in middle school?"

     "Well-" You began, a heavy hand on your shoulder interrupting you as a tall presence appeared behind you. Looking up at Kuroo with an irritated expression, you puffed out your cheeks, knowing there was no possible way he would let you get out of this.
_______________________________

     That's how you ended up sitting leg to leg next to Kuroo in his own home painting the "new and improved" Nekoma banner. His room hadn't changed one bit, childish anime posters were plastered on the walls clumsily as well as a couple of volleyball magazines. The same twin bed sat in the corner and the whole room threw you back face first into middle school.

     When walking to his house, Kuroo stayed abruptly silent. You swayed behind him,walking at a slower pace, avoiding the small cracks in the sidewalk. You hadn't even noticed when the two of you arrived. Your head met his back as you inadvertently ran straight into him. That was your indication that you had made it.

     "Sorry!" You apologized profusely, arguing that it wasn't on purpose. Kuroo stayed silent. He looked down at you with accusatory eyes but said nothing before turning his back to walk to the door. It was weird, but that doesn't mean it wasn't unpleasant. Sometimes it was nice for him to shut up for once. You kept your head up and smiled, making your way into the door with full confidence.

     Kuroo navigated you through the house you had already known so well into his room. When you dropped your bag by his bed was the first time he spoke to you since the two of you left the school.

     "You can put your stuff anywhere I don't care." Kuroo explained so eloquently. He then shut the door and lazily grabbed the supplies from his backpack.

     "I have some paints in my closet if you wanna use those too." He pointed to the top shelf of his small closet, above the clothes rack stood the small box you presumed to have the paints in them. Nodding quickly you made your way over to the closet. Grabbing the box, you got on your toes to reach for it, with no help from the six foot man, you shakily grasped it from the shelf.

     "Thanks for the help." You mumbled out sarcastically, not intending for Kuroo to hear it. The black haired boy's ears perked with excitement as he heard your remark.

     "What was that?" He smiled quickly, eyebrows peeking up with amusement. Your face flushed quickly.

     "Nothing." You replied, putting the bin down in between where the two of you will be working on the banner. This was going to be a long afternoon you sighed.

_______________________________

guys i updated be happy yay woo! but really everyone's comments have been helping with my motivation to write and have just ultimately been amazing thank you so much for 16k reads and summer is coming so even tho i keep promising quicker uploads...this promise is more accurate so expect faster updates! anyways late night posts hurt my eyes if there are spelling errors i'm so sorry