Third Times A Charm?

Sprinting through the field was difficult. I needed to get far enough away from Phil and Danielle without being caught too soon. The only way to do that was to make a break for the forest beyond the field. Pushing myself much farther than I had any time before, I sprinted and looked back a few times. I could see some soldiers frantically trying to catch up to me, each wanting their own prize. Luckily, the closest one was at least 30 feet behind me.

The forest drew nearer and nearer until I reached the edge. Turning, I still had a decent lead on the others. I went into the forest, and its leaves and shade enveloped me, almost like a protector of some kind. The cooler and darker air swirled, and I trampled into it. There was no way they would give up, and it would be dark soon. Looks like it was time to find a place to rest (and hide) before I couldn’t see.

My best bet was to climb a tree. I went further into the realm of green and tried to find one with low enough branches that was sturdy enough to hold me, but was tall as well. My first attempt ended with me on the ground, clutching my ankle. It wasn’t broken, but it was likely sprained.

Tree number two went better than the first, but only because I caught myself before the branch broke. I guess I should check the branches next time before trying to climb it. The voices were nearing where I was, and I didn't have much time. Third times a charm?

I grabbed the branch and it snapped. Crap. Trampling came my way, paired with yells. Welp. That didn't work. Quietly taking a few steps further, I reached one more tree. It wasn't very tall, but it did look sturdier. I would have to pull myself up to the nearest branch.

Grunting, I did manage to climb/drag myself up the tree. It was extremely uncomfortable, and to be honest the branch was pretty shaky when I got up there. A small crack sounded throughout the wood, and I prayed no one had heard it over their arguments about where I had gone.

Stomps echoed in the other direction, and I sighed. Thank god. I went to climb down when, naturally, it turned out someone had stayed behind, and I crashed into the solid and dirty ground. Shit. I flipped over (I had landed on my stomach, and my arm was underneath it, but nevermind that) and scrambled back against the tree.

A young man stood before me, and was just as startled as I was. I suppose I had literally just fell out of the sky, so I can cut him some slack. He took a step closer and I growled. “Get away from me.”

He stopped and listened. The gears in his mind were going, and when he looked back at me I think I actually saw some sympathy. Maybe. It was getting darker. My eyes must have been playing a trick on me. These soldiers just blindly followed whoever paid them, and didn’t care about anyone or anything other than themselves.

Just then the sound of people coming our way reminded me what I really needed to be worried about. More soldiers were coming this way, and he just stood there. Was he not going to threaten me or hurt me? Is this some kind of trick? I pulled myself up and suddenly he was taking long strides towards me. This was it. I reflexively threw up my arms and shielded my face from him.

Instead, nothing happened. I peeked out from behind my fingers and just saw him holding out his hand. “Either we can do this the easy way, or the hard way.” He was right. Might as well just get it over with.

I gripped his hand and was spun into his arms. Taken off guard, I slipped but was caught. One arm around my waist and the other held a knife to my throat. Other men flooded around us and laughed. My hunch was correct. What a surprise.

It was a trick.