"She dropped him off at an orphanage two months ago," Alex explained.

"What??"

"Yes, and for all I know, he has been there since then so that story about the accident, she cooked that up."

Raymond fell back even harder against his seat, his hand flying up to massage his temple that seemed on the verge of bursting with how his headache seemed to have intensified.

"I can't believe this," he murmured.

Alex just stared at him.

"Why would she even do that? To her child, no less?" Raymond wondered aloud.

"She probably got tired of taking care of him. He had become a burden to her and she felt she had to get rid of him," Alex replied with a shrug. "There's so many reasons, but then haven't we already established she never really needs any reasons to do the things she does?"

Raymond shook his head disbelievingly and muttered, "Unbelievable."

"It's actually not that unbelievable. You're the only one who has refused to see her for who she is," Alex stated and the accusation in the words were too obvious to be ignored.

"Don't start lecturing me now. I have enough going through my head already," Raymond pleaded. "So, about Jason -- "

Alex cut in before he could go too far, "No, don't even think about it. This is all for the best. It's about time you sever the bond between you and Rose permanently."

"Look, Alex -- "

"I know," Alex assured. "I know how much you care for the boy and how attached you are to him but there are times you just have to make what you might consider a selfish decision, for everyone's ultimate good."

"Jason is only a child. His own mother abandoned him. I can't just do the same," Raymond argued.

Alex let out a breath, frustrated, but he'd come prepared. "I knew you were going to be like this when you found out about it and that is why I took it upon myself to secure his adoption process."

"What adoption process?"

"When I found out, I told Sophia about it and it turned out there was this couple she knows from church who have been having issues with having children and are considering adoption. She's been talking to them and they might be interested in adopting your boy."

Raymond's mind reeled, taking it all in. "Really? I-I'm not sure what to say or think right now. This is all a bit too much."

Alex smiled, a little sympathetic. "I know. Do you remember that time I was sick and you asked me to relax and trust you to take care of me, everything included?"

Raymond scoffed, his mind going back to the time. "You mean that time you were so adamant about being able to take care of yourself?"

An unexpected small laugh escaped Alex. "I still ended up doing what you wanted anyway."

"Because you had no choice," Raymond insisted.

"Yes, well . . . Point is, it's my turn now to ask you to sit back and watch me take care of this for you."

"Alex . . . "

"I promise I'll ensure the boy is in good hands. If you won't trust me, at least trust Sophia."

Raymond's eyes softened and a genuine smile finally graced his lips. "That's not necessary. I do trust you."

"Good. This is your chance of getting Rose off your back for good. Now that she believes you think the boy is dead, she won't come back, and it's better that way."