Chapter 8

Sarah heard Sandhurst's voice in her head when he was ready to enact his plan.

Showtime.

She wrapped her arms around Sam's neck—with relief more than anything—and they soared out of the wretched prison they'd been in all afternoon.

She was, of course, concerned about what was coming next, but the rush of wind against her sweaty skin was delicious. For a moment, she just closed her eyes and enjoyed it.

Her shirt fluttered and her braids swung. Fresh air!

They soared toward the football stadium where a sign said, "Home of the Cougars."

She could hear the president speaking, "There are many who might be surprised at what I'm saying. There are many who want to stop this unification. They told me to cancel this event, they told me there's a psychopath who wants to scare us into retreat. Into submission! But I said no."

The crowd roared in approval.

"Don't like this," Sam murmured.

"He even got ahold of Captain America, but I said no. No terrorist will get the best of me, and he won't get the best of you!"

Sam's wings beat against the air as they rocketed over the press box. Bucky! She saw him standing on the roof in black, looking right at them. His hand was to his ear as he spoke.

He bent his knees. Would he jump up to grab them, to stop Sam?

At the last second, he shook his head, looking pained.

Sarah lost sight of him as Sam's trajectory cut to the left. The only thing higher than the stadium were the huge racks of lights.

Sarah nearly screamed, thinking that Sandhurst was going to crash the two of them straight into the frames and glass and wiring. At the last second, with a burst of height, they swooped over and Sam dropped her.

This time Sarah did scream, but she only fell a few feet before landing hard on her back. There was a small platform with rails for those who needed to service the lights, and her teeth clanked together painfully as she hit.

Her momentum made her roll. She was going to fall again—!

But she was able to grab one of the poles of the railing. She dangled. She tried to get a better grip on the pole with her sweaty right hand. With her left, she grasped the edge of the platform.

Her feet kicked uselessly. Her hands burned. She could tell she didn't have Sandhurst's weird power keeping her hands attached. It was all her. If she let go, she would fall.

With a chill, she realized that if Sandhurst made her let go, she would also fall.

Would he...?

A panicked glance down showed that she was still far, far above the stands. Even if the people below wanted to catch her, it would be bad.

But it seemed to be chaos below. A few were pointing up to her. If they were screaming or yelling, she couldn't tell. Her senses were centered in her hands.

Don't let go.

Bucky's heart nearly stopped when Sam dropped Sarah. He was already running the length of the press box as she screamed and nearly fell into the concrete stands far below her. He gauged the distance. His mind highlighted the ledges and angles he could use to get to her.

Sam was diving toward the stage.

Bucky knew, in a back part of his brain, that Sandhurst put Sarah in danger for this very reason. He assumed Bucky would spend valuable minutes ensuring her safety.