Chapter 10 - About Time

Start from the beginning

However, shaking my head, I don’t think it’s a good idea. Working under Stone’s company will make it easier for Hunter to touch me. Power play. He’s going to do everything he can to ruin my life. And by taking the risk of being his employee just makes things easier for him.

“There will be massive changes, Angel! Bigger salary! Health and accident insurance! I heard Stone’s planning to shower us all with abundant allowances and other benefits. Isn’t that great? Too good to be true, right?” Now the whispering is gone. She sounds totally ecstatic. “Are you coming over?”

From afar, I see the bus nearing.

“No,” I answer bluntly.

“What? But why? You’re going to be Stone’s asset. You’re a natural in this. He’d love to have you in his company,” she states without falter. “And besides I’m sure you’ll get promotion easily than with Thatcher around.”

It’s exactly what I am avoiding. I don’t want Stone in my life.

“I already found a job. Teacher Assistant. Pay is good,” I answer confidently. “I can manage.”

May is silent for a while.

“May, I’ll be fine with this. I think I need a breather from the publishing industry. I think I don’t fit into that competitive world.” Of course, it’s a lie. I’d always love to work with writers and their masterpieces.

I set my foot on the bus and quickly find a seat at the back. The view by the window is refreshing. I could listen to May persuading me and the constant battle between my heart and brain while watching the green and blue changing positions, even mixing at times.

“I don’t know, Angel. I think differently. You’d be a very good publisher someday, if you know what I mean.”

Hearing those words from her makes me want to admit how I disgust myself for lying. May can be right. I can be a very good publisher someday. I can be a real one not just a publisher in a fraud name—Angel Grant, Metamorphosis. She does not even exist.

“I’ll see you around, May.” And I hang up the call.

I am not sure if ending the call raised my regrets for turning down the opportunity working with the new publishing house. I just know I felt sad about missing May and my friends, and not pursuing my dreams because I need to stay away from the enemy. If this were another publishing house, or other company taking over McGarry, I will definitely dash back there and leave this bus to its destination.

The first thing I did when I arrived at Millborne Avenue in Trenton, where the Montessori is strategically surrounded with subdivisions, was to get a cup of coffee or hot choco from the nearest department store. I am freezing. I forgot to bring my gloves and scarf because I was hurrying to leave. There were a couple of red mittens at the counter so I thought of buying one. It’s better to have one pair of thin cashmere mittens than nothing to leave my hands bare to freeze.

Truthfully, I feel anxious watching Mrs. Pia Franco, the headmistress, go over my application letter and resume. She reads like a vulture, her eyes peering over her half-moon spectacles. Tapping my fingers silently on my lap eases the anxiety. She’s been checking my papers for a couple of minutes now and all I hear from her are sighs and involuntary moans. It makes me think that she’s not interested with me or what. I made sure my resume was excellently made.

She clears her throat which is quite an irresolute progress for me.

“You have stunning credentials, Ms. Mohr.”

Finally, I am able to smile.

“Thank you, Mrs. Franco.” I thought she was going to say I bludgeoned my resume with credentials that I sounded like a desperate airhead.