chapter thirty five

Start from the beginning

"Oak. glad you are back darling." she spoke once her eyes landed on me.

They then flashed to the person behind me, and the sorrowful look written across her face was able to be read like a book.

"Hi Harry. How are you?" she greeted him as well, approaching us where we found ourselves standing in front of the door still.

"I'm good, ma'am. How are you?" he spoke back.

He stood there, dressed in a random shirt that he had strewn about in his car. He threw it on quickly since I stole his from before. He had both of his hands crossed behind his back where the paintings resided.

I am relieved that he held them where they were hidden. I didn't want my mother seeing mine and being disappointed, since she was an artist herself. I definitely didn't get her genes in that department.

"Just lovely." my mother plastered a drawn on smile to her face, masking what I could see was some pain behind her eyes. "What did y'all do today?" she asked, changing the spotlight onto us.

I shrugged, tugging my lips into a tight line. "Nothing much."

"Nothing much? You are covered in paint!" she spotted. "You better wash up before we leave. You'll look like a hooligan on the plane." she leaned in, to not so well, whisper to me.

I looked down at Harry's shirt that he threw on me at the beach, seeing a few splatters of different shades of blues, purples, and yellows. I drew my eyes up to Harry's with a sheepish look, saying 'sorry about your shirt.' since this would probably stain.

I could see his smug smirk from a mile away once he easily overheard my mother's words to me, but I knew she was just messing with me, even though she was right, I did need to shower once more before we left.

"And you know how your dad is, we're on a tight schedule." my mother redirected her words to answer my holler towards my father.

"I know, I know. But it is ridiculous." I stated.

She just shrugged, not wanting to have a say in the idea of being those people at the airport. You know the ones... they arrive early, looking a bit out of place and touristy.

She pulled me into a hug, which was expected, because whenever there is a hard time in the family, my mother loves to cling onto each and every member like glue.

She then pulled back, swiftly pulling Harry into a hug as well, which I saw shock him by the look on his face. He didn't let the reaction reciprocate through his body though, and hugged her right back, causing a soft smile to form on my lips.

She pulled back from him as well, letting her palm softly pat the side of his cheek.

I've noticed something about Harry; something quite endearing. Whenever anyone hugs him, he is never the first to let go. Along this whole trip, I just assumed it was with me, but seeing him with my mother, it spoke volumes about who he is.

The kindest. Most caring.

"It was a pleasure knowing you, Harry." my mother spoke dearly to him.

"It was all mine, Mrs. Pierce."

She smiled at the both of us, and began to lead her stuff out through the back door to the car. Harry offered to help her, but she waved him off. I took this opportunity to grasp Harry's forearm, and tugged him towards my room.

Down the hallway, and through the door, walking into a room that a mere few hours ago looked like a tornado had torn through it, but now, every belonging that I've brought or accumulated over this trip was been stowed away in each of my many bags.