Chapter 12

The slender, older gentleman, clad in unassuming jeans and a purple sweater, stepped into the light, hands behind his back and an eerie sense of calm defining in his demeanor.

Bucky eyed Summer from the side. She stood frozen, like she had seen a ghost. But she took a hard swallow and a deep breath, and replied,

"Well," she cleared her throat and straightened herself, "displeasure to see you, Dr. Kirishima."

Kirishima chuckled. "Wow, so you're funny," he smirked. "I didn't think I'd ever hear you speak in your own voice. Well, outside of a scream." He turned to Bucky. "And well, well - I didn't think I'd ever meet you in person either. The Winter Soldier. Mmm..." He savored the words as he spoke. "Winter and Summer, as a packaged deal. I must be...dreaming."

The word sent a shudder through Summer's spine.

"Summer, who is this?" Bucky asked.

"You mean, you never mentioned me, Miss Hidaka? Well, I find that rather offensive," Kirishima said. "How rude of me not to make an introduction. I am Dr. Jon Kirishima. Best scientist, inventor, and engineer you've never heard of. Miss Hidaka was a gift to me, from my grandfather. You see, my grandfather created the Summer Soldier to forever be a work in progress - a project never meant to be completed. After he died, I intended to carry on his work. So, if you're wondering who turned the Summer Soldier into the most prolific under-the-radar assassin in the world, well, you're looking right at him."

Summer changed the subject immediately. "So what are you up to these days? Isolated terrorist attacks? Blowing up the IDH?"

Kirishima chuckled once more. "The IDH is perfectly safe. At least from me." He began to slowly make his way toward his workstation. "With you both out of HYDRA's radar, I needed a ploy. One of my disposables got word of an embassy bomb plot you were chasing down, so I sent him to join their cause. All the while, looking for you." He approached his computer, nonchalantly tapping a spacebar to light up his computer screen. "I had him tip you off on a fake attack on the IDH, and now we're here. Together again."

"And your passcode to this place is 'The Entertainer'?" Summer asked, her tone unimpressed.

"Well, it was Sota's job to lead you up here, until you accidentally killed him," Kirishima said. "I had no idea you were going to play it. Funny how destiny works..."

"So you're with HYDRA?" Bucky asked.

Kirishima shrugged.

"Captain America is picking HYDRA apart," Bucky said. "The remnants of the organization are nearly eradicated. How were you able to get away?"

"Because I'm smart enough not to associate with the idiots who run the operation," Kirishima explained. "I offered my leadership; they said no. They don't take any of my suggestions, only my services. I work better alone anyway. Needless to say, if HYDRA falls...I'll still be standing."

"So that's your plan?" Bucky asked. "To resurrect the organization with just yourself?"

"Not just myself," Kirishima replied. "With Miss Hidaka by my side, of course."

"Recreate the serum, build an army, the same old narrative," Bucky interjected. "I think a lot of people have tried that..."

"Not the way I have. Summer's blood is a powerful substance. Through her, we can cure diseases, lengthen lifespans, make the human race more alive than it ever had been. Give power to everyone, not just the privileged few. And when HYDRA gives the people what they want," Kirishima asserted, "they'll follow simply because they want to."