Levi put the teacup down and winced. He touched his injured leg, letting out an annoyed grunt.

"I'm sorry," Eren said quietly, looking down. "It was all my fault."

"It's not your fault. That's on me," Mikasa said.

"If only I'd made the right decision…" Eren's fists trembled in his lap.

Eren took a deep breath. Don't get frustrated. Just do better. It hasn't happened. I won't let it.

"I told you," Levi said. "No one could have foreseen the outcome."

Several people coughed pointedly.

"Yes, you all saw the cracks in the plan," Hange said. "But the outcome wasn't etched in stone. We could have still caught her..."

"Cracks? More like gaping holes," Ymir muttered under her breath.

The door creaked open. Eren stood up.

"Sorry for being late." Erwin's voice was heard.

"Not at all," Eren said. "You guys…" Armin, Mikasa, and Jean were among the people standing with the commander. "Uhh…"

"We've identified the person likely to be the Female Titan," Erwin spoke, his words surprising the Shifter. "This time we will catch her."

Armin, Mikasa, and Jean stood silently.

The recruits looked on skeptically.

She transformed. I'd say the plan has already failed. Again. Christa hoped they had a back-up in place this time.

"The operation will begin the day after tomorrow," the commander said.

A map of the Walls was open on the table before them.

"The location is Stohess, where we'll be passing en route to the royal court. This is our one and only chance," Erwin said, Eren and Armin sitting across from him. "If we can't escape there, you'll inevitably fall into the hands of the authorities."

Levi and Mikasa sat blank-faced.

"Then it'll be even harder to pursue those who scheme to destroy the Walls. Humanity's annihilation will become even more imminent."

Not all of humanity. But our people definitely. Petra thought. It was still mind-boggling to think there were other civilizations—or at least one—still out there. It completely changed their perspective on the war. Human vs. human. She wondered why the Shifters had attacked the people of the Walls. We've been locked in here for a century. What had happened back then that they couldn't let it go even after a hundred years?

"We must bet everything we have on this operation."

Eren nodded, face grim and serious.

"The plan is as follows: While we're passing through Stohess," the commander traced the route with his finger, "Eren, you'll act as bait to lure the target to this tunnel. If you can bring her into its depths, then even if she transforms, she won't have the space to utilize her power. But if by any chance she transforms before then, we'll have to rely on you, Eren."