Small Blade

Disclaimer: I do not own Attack on Titan or this story.

Previously: Levi finds a connection between him, Mikasa, and Kenny, and wonders if they're related somehow.

|~|

"Over a century ago, beings that prey on humans suddenly appeared. Their absolutely overwhelming—you know what? You already know all this and don't need me wasting your time saying it over and over. Let's skip ahead, shall we?"

"Candy's not very patient, is she?" Jean said.

Shrugs came as a response.

A building appeared and loud footsteps were heard. Inside, a trio of trainees was standing before a group of Garrisons. "Please wait, Captain! Should the Titans attack, we supply soldiers won't be able to hold this position on our own!"

"Why didn't they close the doors?" Christa wondered. "That could've stopped more Titans from coming in and they could have taken care of the ones already inside."

"Fear tends to screw with a person's mind," Ymir said.

"Not everyone's as brave as you, Christa." Connie shot her a smile.

That's not the exact word I'd used. Ymir thought. Close though.

"Please, sir! You have to stay here!"

"Step aside," Weilman ordered. "I must reorganize the reinforcements now."

"Sure you do," Ymir said sarcastically.

"Bastard." Eren glared.

"Behind the safety of the inner gate, you mean?"

"Oooh," Connie snickered.

"What the hell are you trying to say? I'll have you know I'm following regulations! Obeying established regulations is a soldier's duty!"

Funny, I don't recall running away in the middle of battle a rule. Hange thought.

"Didn't he say in the other episode fleeing would be considered treason?" Jean pointed out.

"He's a hypocrite and a coward." Christa rolled her eyes.

"B-But, sir! If we lose this position—"

"Enough of your talk." Weilman pointed his blade at her. "Open your mouth again and I'll be forced to punish you for treason where you stand!"

Petra wrinkled her nose. "What a dick."

|~|

Mikasa swung onto a roof. She noticed three trainees standing atop a nearby building, talking. She was too far to hear them. Why isn't anyone going over the Wall? I'm sure they heard the bell signaling us to withdraw. Something caught her eye in the distance. The building was completely surrounded by Titans.

Inside, four trainees were huddled behind a desk. "It's all over. We're done for…"

"Cowards." Jean sneered. It was because of their weakness he and the other squads were left with little gas to get over the Wall to make it to safety.