Chapter 1: The Letter

It was a quiet afternoon as I sat at my desk, finishing up the remaining of the days paperwork, when my butler entered the room. He held a silver platter with a few letters on it.

"Leave them there for now," I said, waving my hand for him to scram as I was busy, "I have other work to attend to."

"Very well, sir, but, I'm afriad this letter is most ergent." He replied, holding the letter towards me.

I pulled focus from the papers displayed on my desk to look a the small envolope in his gloved hands.

I took it from his hands and looked at the wax seal. it was from her majesty.

"I don't remeber hearing of any crimes in London." I said, reaching for the letter opener and slicing it open.

I pulled out the pieces of paper within and read them over quickly, collecting a summary of it before I handed it over to Sebastian for him to read over.

"It seems, this is business outside of Britian." I said, entwining myfingers together and placed them onto my lap.

"Yes, there have been recent murders in India." He replied, skimming through the letter, but never forgetting a detail.

"yes, a small village has been disturbed by someone who is murdering the residents, and quite savagely apparently." I replied, going over the facts in my mind.

"Yes, it seems that is, perhaps, a cerial killer for they all have something in common."

"Yes, they were all taken from the village, and then days later were found in trees, their bodies mangled."

"Young master, could it be maybe an animal living there attacking them?" Sebastian asked, placing the letters neatly onto the desk.

"Perhaps, but it seems as though the nature of the murders are cruel, too cruel for the Queen to describe." I said, looking down at my lap, thinking.

"But, why is this a concern of the Queen?" Lau said, tilting his head.

"HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN THERE???" I screamed at him. I know Lau had his "surprise visits", but he at least knocked on the door, this is the first time he's entered my office unnoticed.

"My, my, earl, you seemed stressed. I think this would be a chance for you to relax, you must consider it." He replied with a smile, rubbing Ranmoa's thigh as she sat on his lap, "Don't you agree, Ranmoa?"

She simply nodded her head.

"Mister Lau, although we hounered by your precense, it would be better if you were to knock efore entering the manor." Sebastian said, bowing his head.

"Oh, of course, I do guess Master Butler does have a point, right, Ranmoa?" He said.

I rubbed my temples in frustration, I did not have time to deal with him, there were more important matters at hand.

"Again, Earl, I must ask. Why does this concern her majesty?" Lau said before taking another drag of his pipe.

"Well, her majesty does have many relations in India, but mostly, the village being attacked is one of her companies work areas. The villagers, along with workers, are being attacked, so it is slowing down productivity. The other fact is how cruel the murders are, so she prays for their souls to hope it stops. She would like me to get to the bottom of it." I said, leaning my head on my hand, my elbow on the desk.

"Ah, I see, but I do agree with Master Butler. What if is an animal?" Lau asked.

"Then we track it down and kill it." I said plainly.