Varian was left with Riki and Ruddiger to face the double that slipped past them. He shuddered as Varian 2 tossed his long bangs out of his face and met his glare. "Pleased to meet you, Varian," the clone spat.

O‴O‴O‴

The Hectors bounced around the hall, springing off walls and tables, one deadly focused and the other laughing like a madman. Kiki followed them but couldn't get a hit in on the clone. "You're pathetic!" Hector 2 cackled gleefully. "So predictable. I wonder, if I did this..." He suddenly jumped between the two Varians, swinging his blade towards the real one. Hector followed, blocking the sword with his own as his nephew yelped and backed up in shock.

"Hands off," he snarled. "You'd think a clone would be a little more realistic. No one touches him."

"No one except us," the double answered. "Isn't that the rule? Us and Adira. So why shouldn't I kill him?"

"Well, that's not like us, is it? We'd never hurt him." Hector smirked. "You of all people should know that. You're me."

"Oh, we wouldn't, huh?" Hector 2 smirked. His eyes glowed red, and a voice rang through the hall, coming from everywhere and nowhere at once.

What the CRAP! You know better! I told you this was dangerous and you weren't supposed to get near it! What were you thinking? You could have killed us all! Is that what you wanted? Is it?

Hector hissed, the familiar searing rage tearing through his veins, the way it had just moments ago when the smoke overtook him. The way it had when he'd had that nightmare months ago. The way it had when he'd first saw Quirin's body. Crushing the feeling, he tackled Hector 2 again. They fell to the floor, the clone slipping away and springing to his feet. Hector followed, not letting up on his attack.

"Face it!" Hector 2 laughed. "You're weak! You've already given up on your mission for the sake of a child!"

"I didn't give up anything!" Hector snarled. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Varian and Adira chasing after their clones, who had run for the stairs. "You don't get to talk about my mission."

"Why not? I'm you!" Hector 2 stepped back, breathing heavily. "You never would have let the Sundrop past the Great Tree if Varian wasn't there. You'd've killed her or died trying. He's made you weak. Did you really think you could stay loyal to your mission and take responsibility for that brat as well?"

"Shut up!" Hector charged forward again, but Hector 2 dodged.

"I'll do you a favor," the clone said. "I'll go ahead and end him so you can get back to the important stuff. He deserves it, anyway. He killed our brother." He turned and sped away after the others.

Hector roared in rage and followed, slashing at the creature. Hector 2 continued to dodge and strike back, every bit of Hector's speed and skill at his disposal. The warrior gritted his teeth. They were perfectly matched, neither being able to get an advantage. He suspected that was why the clone kept up his incessant chatter. To try to distract him or make him mad enough to slip up and make a mistake.

Thinking quickly, Hector sheathed his sword, crossed his arms behind his back, and blocked Hector 2's blade with his foot, twisting his leg and slamming the blade to the ground. Then he spun and slammed his other foot against the clone's face. He unsheathed his sword again and swung it down in an arc. The clone's eyes widened, and he wavered for a moment before dissipating into smoke.

Hector whirled around. Where had it gone? Was this some new trick, that it could disappear and reappear at will? He missed the good old days, when whacking someone with a sword meant they stayed down.