𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

___

"What are you doing on the weekend Katherine?"

Don asked as we walked down the crowded halls. Don's other two friends were with us as well.

"I'm not sure, I have some homework to catch up on.." She nodded her head and started to talk to the other girls, i'm not that interesting to talk to anyways.

I saw Richie and his friends walking towards us, I panicked. I quickly left Don's side and rushed through the crowds of people, trying to get to the washrooms.

It was almost in reach, the safe space was right there I could almost touch it-

"Hey Kat!"

Ponyboy.

I caught my breath and grabbed his hand tightly, ushering him past the Soc boys. "What are we doin'?" 

I hushed him and walked out of the school, still cautiously looking back.

"Homework at your place right?" I needed an excuse to get far away from the school, the guys could be on our track any moment. "T-today?" he stuttered.

I blushed and faced him. "Right i'm so sorry! How about tomorrow, on the weekend.." He smiled a little bit and nodded. "Want me to walk you home?" He followed my pace and lightly brushed my hand.

I wanted nothing more than that, he was a cute boy, a nice one as well. I could see myself with Ponyboy. But if I wanted to keep my 'Soc image' on, I had to refuse.

"It's a bit far.." I nervously bit my lip. 

"How 'bout just halfway?" 

It was hard to say no to that face. "Sounds good to me" 

He lightly patted my shoulder in comfort.

We made some small talk, including his address, so I knew where to go tomorrow. It was pretty close surprisingly.

He said that he really liked sunsets, I thought that was sweet.

As we got to the halfway point, he lightly grabbed my forearm.

"Hey about the homework thing, it would be great to have you over, but my house is pretty wild." He chuckled and then stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"It's okay Pony, really I don't mind. Honestly we could even go to the park, just anywhere but my house" I half joked.

He stayed quite, looking down at the ground with an upset expression. "Your parents don't hurt you do they Kat?" His eyes were clouded and his lips puckered. My stomach tightened and I started to feel a little light headed.

"N-no nothing like that!" I gulped.

"We're just doing renovations that's all.. everything pretty messy." I lied, it hurt lying to him.

He smiled a little "Well my house ain't that clean either" I giggled and gave him a slight hug.

"See 'ya Pony"

"See 'ya"

___

It was 7:30 by the time Dally got home. I was sitting on the couch reading a book. We didn't have a T.V to entertain ourselves.

"Your late again Dal" I murmured. He hung his leather jacket on the side of the couch and slid down beside me.

"I was with the gang I told 'ya that this mornin'" he yawned, grabbing a cigarette from the pocket of his brown leather jacket. He lit it up and put it up to his lips, taking a drag.

I leaned over him and took one as well, holding it to my lips in a joking manner. "Hey Dal, think I should start smokin' " He grabbed it from my fingers, stuffing it back into his jacket.

"Don't be stupid" He exhaled.

"You do it though" I said as I rested my head back on the couch flipping through the pages of my book.

"That's different 'ya twerp" He kicked off his shoes, relaxing.

"Hey i'm going to a friends house to study tomorrow, i'm havin' some trouble" I said cooly, hoping he wouldn't ask any questions about it.

"What friend?" he cleared his throat.

"A new one."

He eyed me suspiciously and sat up. "What's their name Kat.."

I set my book on my stomach and took a deep breath in.

"Ponyboy." I gulped, watching the colour rise in Dally's cheeks.

He put his hands in his hair, holding himself with his elbows on his knees and took a breath.

"No."

"What do you mean no? It's just a boy Dal-"

"It's not that Katherine!" He stood up and his brows furrowed. I wanted to scream in his face.

"Then what is it Dally! You never tell me anything, not even who you hang out with. Do you know how aggravating that it!" I was standing up now, I hated getting in fights with Dally, but I was really pissed this time.

"Just-" he put down his cigarette and moved his hands to his hips. I scowled at him, what the hell is his problem.

"Go to your room." He turned his back on me, my hands dropped and my jaw fell aghast.

"Dally-"

"I SAID GO"

I felt hot tears welling up now, I couldn't stand when he yelled at me.

Or anyone for that matter.

I stormed off and slammed the door hard. I stood staring at my door and kicked it. I must do this a lot because the paint is chipping at the bottom.

I went and sat on my bed, I don't care what Dally said, i'm going over tomorrow anyways.

And he can't do anything to stop me.

___

I just laid in my bed tirelessly, I didn't want to go out of my room and retrieve my book so I had just been staring at my ceiling with the lights off. I rolled onto my side, I didn't have my covers on either, maybe if I died from hypothermia Dally would feel bad.

I heard the door creek and I just sighed. He's probably drunk and going to yell at me again.

"Hey kid" He sat on the side of me with a hand on my back.

"Hi." God I was so mad at him.

"I brought you your book, maybe you and your friend can talk about it tomorrow. I bet he digs books too" He had a tone in his voice that sounded so certain, like he knew this boy so well.

I turned over and stared at him. "I thought you said I couldn't go."

"Well i'm just a really good brother and decided it's okay." He smiled and layed next to me.

I hugged him tight, I wanted to cry, but I know he'd get mad with me.

"I love you Dal"

"Love you too kitty"

He only calls me that when he's really happy.