Chapter 8: An Unexpected Adoption

It was a chilly Monday morning and despite the fact that it was still Christmas break for most elementary schools in Gotham the highway was still busy as ever. Everyone was trying to get to work, appointments, and meetings even the Wayne family. At the moment Bruce drove his black Mercedes as Dick, strapped securely in his car seat, rode in the back to the local dog shelter.

"Daddy why are wes goin to da dog shelter?" Dick asked curiously, though still very excited to join his daddy in work related things.

"We're going to talk to the owner to finalize the details on an upcoming charity." Bruce answered as he kept both eyes locked on the road.

"Why?"

"Because they really need help raising money and giving all those poor doggies good homes. If we don't a lot of the dogs will have to stay there and never leave."

"Oh I don want that daddy." Dick said rather sadly, being a big animal lover.

"Neither do I baby so that's why we're going to help."

Immediately Dick perked up, excited to help man's best friend find happy and safe homes. Eventually they reached the dog shelter, a one story brick building surrounded by a tall chain link fence with a large and happy looking welcome sign. Outside waiting for them was a large and muscular man with fiery red hair and a jolly grin on his face. Bruce quickly parked in one of the nearby spaces and got out to meet the man with a poised but friendly smile.

"You must be Seamus McTagger, a pleasure to meet you." Bruce said with his hand extended out.

"Pleasure to meet you Mr. Wayne, thank you for commin to our dog shelter." Seamus said with a firm handshake and a strong but understandable Scottish accent.

"Happy to come and support an organization such as yours."

"And we here are more than grateful for it, I'm afraid we're in rather great need of your help. But why don't we go inside and discuss further, it's bloody cold out here."

"Of course, but give me one second and let me fetch my son out of the car."

Immediately Bruce turned around and went to Dick's car door, where he quickly unbuckled him and scooped him out of his car seat. He then carried him over to where Seamus was, who looked at Dick with great joy and happiness.

"Hello!" Dick greeted in his usual friendly and happy manner.

"Oh my what a cute babee you got there, do you mind if I hold him. I do love me self little ones, I'm actually a father and a grandfather too so please know I mean him no harm."

"Uhh sure he's a friendly little guy, just make sure to give him back." Bruce responded politely despite his jealous and possessive urges wanting him to say no.

Immediately Seamus took Dick and mercilessly started to tickle him, causing the little boy to squeal with great delight.

"My aren't you just adorable! Now what's your name, son?" Seamus asked as he ceased his tickling.

"My names Dick!"

"Well hello Dick and how old are you?"

"I'm five!" Dick answered proudly as he held out five fingers.

"My you truly do have a wee one here Mr. Wayne, but that's perfectly normal. Me youngest was a real tiny sprout when he was a youngin, but by the time he reached puberty grew up to be as tall and big as a tree!" Seamus said as he then tossed Dick in the air several times, causing the little boy to giggle madly.

"We'll see, now why don't we go inside to look over the facility. I'd like to see what you need help with." Bruce suggested knowing this was a business meeting, plus he didn't like to talk about Dick growing up it was too scary.