“What?!” Kalthoum exclaimed and Hana nodded.

“You don’t care about who he is. You care about what he has.”

“That’s not true!”

“Oh yeah!? What’s his favorite color? What was the best moment in his career? What’s his favorite food? What would he have been if he didn’t become a basketball player?! Have you ever actually had a conversation with him that didn’t have to do with his houses or cars?! You know nothing about him!” Hana exclaimed.

“Yes I do!”

Hana shrugged.

“Whatever you want to believe, but you are going to end up not only hurting him, but yourself.” It was quiet in the room before Kalthoum stood abruptly.

“He’s mine Hana, stay away.” And with those words, Kalthoum flounced out of the library, leaving Hana staring after her wearily.

***

Houssam sat across from Kalthoum feeling totally awkward. He had been at her house for an hour, and while she had been trying to talk to him about other things, he had to give her credit for trying, it still seemed forced and unnatural.

“So do you have any hobbies?” she asked, and he winced slightly at the fakeness in her tone. Had she always been like this, or was he just now realizing it?!

He had been up the entire night thinking about Hana, and was nowhere closer to understanding what his feelings were, or what he wanted to do. Part of him was angry at her if she did like him. Why had she not come forward before he asked to talk to Kalthoum!?

They could have been together! She could have saved him from this terrible fate of having to sit here uncomfortably with Kalthoum!

But now he had a huge dilemma. He couldn’t just ditch Kalthoum. But he was terribly conflicted about Hana! Ugh this was such a mess! Part of him longed for the time where she was just his friend. Before Layla had thrown his life for a loop.

He would have to get it confirmed toda…

“Houssam?”

He started in surprise as he realized he hadn’t said anything in a few minutes, he had been so engrossed thinking about Hana.

“Oh uh sorry. Yeah I like to cook.”

Her eyebrows rose in surprise.

“Oh.”

He didn’t like that tone.

“Oh what?”

She shrugged.

“I never would have thought you would like to cook.” She said the last word as if it were an insult, and Houssam shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He didn’t like feeling like he had to explain himself to her. As she began to talk about her own hobbies he tuned her out, getting slightly annoyed with himself because he couldn’t help but compare her to Hana. Every word she said, everything she did, in his mind he was thinking, ‘that’s not what Hana would say’ or ‘Hana would never do that.’

She wouldn’t get out of his head!

He stayed with Kalthoum for another half hour before leaving, and after realizing it was almost time for Asr, he made his way to the Masjid, his mind in turmoil. Once he pulled into the parking lot, he recognized Amir’s car, and he hurriedly pulled out his phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey Amir. Are you at the Masjid bro?”

“Yeah I’m in the library doing some work. What’s up?”

“Well I just got here and I really need to talk to you about something.”

“Yeah sure, come on up.”

“Be right there.” He said hanging up his phone, and taking the stairs two at a time. Once he had reached the library, Amir looked up with a smile.

“Salaam Houssam. You okay?”

“I hate her! So help me Amir I hate her so much!” Houssam exclaimed, and Amir looked at him in astonishment.”

“What are you talking about? You hate Kalthoum?”

Houssam shook his head.

“Hana!”

“Hana?!” Amir exclaimed. “When did that happen?!”

“Does she like me?” Houssam demanded, and Amir started in surprise.

“What?”

“Does she like me? Hana? And don’t bother lying if you know the truth.”

“Oh wow. Houssam.”

“Don’t Houssam me. Does she like me?”

Amir regarded his brother for a few seconds before nodding.

“Yeah. She does.”

Houssam fell back into one of the chairs, his eyes wide.

“Why? Why did this have to happen?! I was perfectly fine before I found out how she felt about me!”

“Houssam, I think you are overreacting.” Amir began, but Houssam cut him off with a raised hand.

“No I am not Amir. It’s terrible! The worst timing ever! Why did she have to like me?! It was one thing if I had to deal with my own feelings, because at least I could try to get over it. But now knowing about her feelings?! This is just awful!”

“Houssam,” Amir tried again, but Houssam sighed loudly.

“What do I do Amir? How do I fix this?”

“Houssam.” Amir said softly, and when Houssam looked up his face paled as he saw Hana standing in the doorway.

“I forgot my purse.” She whispered, her eyes filled with tears, and Houssam stood up from his seat.

“Oh my God Hana. No, it wasn’t what it sounded like.” he exclaimed before she grabbed her purse, and ran out of the room, Houssam running after her.