Waste No Time

I looked down on the burning city underneath me.

The city that once was my home.

Honestly, I am surprised that she started burning now and not earlier... Probably the consequence of a new feature in the modern nuclear bombs.

I imagined a scientist in front of the president saying: „Sir, we could increase the range but after the bomb detonates, the land will  burn" And I saw him sitting right in front of me, in his fancy office in the white house, in his fancy suit, smoking a fancy cigarrette and laughing like a maniac. „But? This is great!" „But other people will be affected by this too..." „What do I care?! The only thing that matters is that we can do them more damage. Produce as much as possible!"

A bitter taste was suddenly in my mouth. It would have been funny if it wasn't so realistic.

„Does it work ?" Tony shook his head and got out of the car. „Doesn't want to" I sighed and gave him his gun back. „Alright, we gotta walk then" I looked around. „Where are Daisy and Hank ?" Tony avoided my gaze. „Ugh don't tell me they are searching for chocolate bars again!" „I don't know where they are – One sec I told them the thing isn't working and next they're away"

„Lovely" I adjusted my cartridge belt and my backpack. „Then it's only us from now on. We already wasted so much time with the car" „But -" „No."

„Hello there!" We turned around. „Where the heck were you?!" Hank pushed a bike my way. „Finding a way to waste less time" He pushed another one towards Tony who laughed. „You can't be serious", I said. „I absolutely am" „If we walk, we will be slower", Daisy said, pushing another bike towards her father and then sat down on a bike for children her age.

I couldn't help but smile.

„Alright let's go we already -" „wasted enough time", the others said in sync. I smiled. „Yes. We got a goal, remember ?" We sat down on our bikes, our city burning behind us, lighting the street in front of us. „Sure", Daisy said, loading a gun, „But killing the president doesn't have to happen in a rush, if you ask me" „Agree", Hank said, taking one last drag out of a beer he must have found somewhere, „He can suffer a bit" "A bit?", Tony laughed, „A bit much"

„Of course", I said, „But after we ended this war. Which we want to do as fast as possible. So let's get going" „Yes chief", Hank said and threw the bottle away. Daisy and Tony saluted.

„Let's end this war"