Chapter 2 - Beginnings (Part 2)

Beginne am Anfang

"Good morning, tiny humans."

"Cool." The children crowded around the robot with wide-eyed wonder as one child's attention was elsewhere. A little girl wearing her hair in her familiar afro puffs walked up to the robot and noticed an electronic eye that tracked motion. She waved her hand in front of the red "eye" and the robot focused solely on her movements. She ran to the left a few steps and the robot rolled to her location. To make sure it wasn't a fluke, she ran to the right and the robot mimicked her movement. The little girl giggled as she ran all over the spacious lobby with the robot following her step for step. Her classmates were in awe and cheered as the girl hid behind Pepper before running from her hiding place giggling.

"He's programmed to play tag!" She laughed as she stopped. The robot extended his arm and touched the girl on her shoulder.

"Tag. You're it."

As the game progressed, a pair of eyes hidden behind expensive shades were focused on the girl in overalls.

(Leave off the hat, backpack and shades)

Her distinctive hairstyle and giggle sparked a memory.

--

"What are you reading?"

"The Bridge to Terabithia." Tony was surprised to hear such a young child pronounce such a big word so easily.

"That's a really big word. Can you really read this book?"

"I've been reading it for the last five minutes." Tony couldn't help but chuckle at the child's boldness.

"I see. Well, can you read some to me?"

"Yeah." Gwen picked up where she left off as Tony looked over her shoulder. After a while, he picked up the little girl and set her on his knee.

--

A smirk appeared on his lips as he made his way towards Pepper and the children.

"I see someone found a better use for my robot." He smirked.

The kids all stood awestruck as they were face to face with the man of the hour.

"Kids, I believe you know who this is." Pepper grinned.

"IRON MAN!" The kids cheered.

"Actually, it's Mr. Stark, but if my alter ego gets that kind of reaction, then, by all means! Say it loud, say it proud!" He smiled as the kids chanted "Iron Man" at the top of their lungs. "As much as I'd love to bask in your youthful admiration, I'm sure you have some questions."

"Do you keep your suit here?"

"Do you have to get it waxed?"

"Can you fly around the world in your suit?"