Chapter Thirty-Nine | Truth

Start from the beginning

"If this is about Captain Gronow's marriage proposal—"

His eyes flared a bright orange, "What proposal?"

She clamped a hand over her mouth and stayed silent. He had not known, and she almost blurted everything out unnecessarily. When she continued to remain silent, he pointed to the chair across from his large oak desk. "Have a seat Lady Vivienne."

She stayed rooted in her spot. Vivienne was not foolish. Whatever it was, they were not about to have a pleasant conversation. It was better for her to remain closer to the door and increase the distance between them.

"Do not make me repeat myself," he gritted his teeth, jaws tightening from the movement. "Have a damn seat."

Seeing the serious look upon his face, Vivienne crossed the few steps and slowly sank into the chair across from him. She wished she could melt into the leather instead of looking upon his face.

James held out his hand, "May I please see your necklace."

Vivienne frowned at the request but nevertheless, undid her chain before passing it to him. Her fingers brushed his as she passed them over and she paused for a second, as did he before quickly snatching them away. She was taken back to the time at Chalcott manor when James had made the same request of her.

"What is this about?" she asked, as he ignored her and instead inspected the chain of the pendent. A few seconds later, he pulled out a miniature of a little girl and continued his inspection. James' brows furrowed as he concentrated at whatever he was looking at. She could not help but ask the question, "who is she?"

He abruptly dropped her necklace on the desk, and it thumped loudly. She made move to grab it back, but he held it out of her grasp, looking up at her with hardened eyes. "Tell me Lady Vivienne, is that your first name?"

Vivienne's heart skipped a beat. She did not know where this was coming from. As far as the world knew, Vivienne was her given Christian name. Had James found something about her past, hence the reason as to why he was asking?

"Is it?" he prodded her again.

Under his watchful gaze she shook her head. "It is my middle name. According to Agatha, Vivienne was the name that my parents used instead of my first name."

"And what exactly is your full name?"

Vivienne's fingers fidgeted restlessly. She had not told anyone her first name. When Agatha told Vivienne her full name, the governess made her promise that she would keep it a secret. Agatha proclaimed that there were many who might take advantage of her if they knew of her name and supposed bloodline. She looked up to see James' eyes lit with anticipation. It was no use, he already knew—how, she did not know. The duke merely needed a confirmation.

"Selina Vivienne Moore," she said softly.

He inhaled sharply, before tossing the miniature closer to her. "You asked who that was before, well it's you"

Vivienne picked up the miniature, confusion lining her face, "I don't understand."

James laughed bitterly, "It is as simple as this Lady Selina," he said the name like it was poison, "that child in the miniature is you. Your father was the previous Earl of Westmorland."

Vivienne clutched her heart, shock and denial running through her body. "No, that's not possible."

James looked at her as if she had lost her mind. "Not possible? You told me that your father was an earl. The Earl of Westmorland died in a carriage incident with my father leaving behind a lost daughter named Lady Selina. Nobody knew where she was. Her uncle searched for years but it was all futile. All because you were using the name Vivienne, instead of Selina."