Chapter 12

Every year, there was a night where the moon shined brighter than usual, turning a beautiful orange color. The trolls called it, the harvest moon.

Branch used to stay up late with his grandma, just to see it. Every year, she would get him a special present, that he could open, while they looked up at the moon. He missed his grandma so much...

He came out of his bunker, looking up at the moon, as he sat down on the grass. He knew she wasn't, but it was almost like, his grandma was sitting right next to him. Tears came out of his eyes, as he started to cry.

Slowly, Branch calmed down, and stood, heading back towards the bunker, but before he went in, he stopped, looking back up at the moon. He remembered how his grandma gave him a gift, every year. Maybe he could keep that tradition alive, along with a part of his grandma.

     He looked back up at the moon, and then nodded.

     "I'm gonna make you proud, Grandma," he said, then he went off to find anything he could give as a gift.

He found a bunch of random stuff, wrapping it in newspaper instead of wrapping paper. Then he found a black sweatshirt to hide who he was.

Quietly, he snuck through the village, leaving presents in everyone's pods.

He debated giving Creek a present, and eventually decided he would. It's what his grandma would have wanted.

Finally, he delivered a present to everyone but Poppy. He went to her pod, looking at the present he was gonna give her. He made it especially for her.

"I hope you like it, Poppy," he whispered, leaving the present on the floor.

He was about to leave, when he heard a noise. Footsteps...

Slowly, he turned, seeing Poppy standing behind him. His eyes widened, as they stared at each other.

"Who are you?" Poppy asked, cocking her head, as she looked at Branch.
"I... ugh..." he said, backing up, trying to hide his face from her. "I... AHHHHH!" he screamed, falling out the door of the pod.

He landed had on the ground, groaning, as he sat up, rubbing his head.

"Are you ok?" Poppy yelled, leaning out the door to look at Branch.

Hearing the noise, everyone began waking up, coming out of their pods.

Scared, Branch looked around at everyone staring at him, as he pulled his hood farther over his face.

"Who is that troll?" someone asked.
"What are they doing?"

Quickly, he stood, running off into the forest, covering his head with his arms.

"Hey!" Poppy yelled. "Come back!"