Chapter 1

"The princess has arrived!" someone outside shouted. Branch who had been playing, looked up from his toys at his grandma. "Princess?" he questioned confused. He had never heard of any Princess. Only King Peppy and his wife Queen Pansy.

     Grandma Rosiepuff smiled, at hearing the news.

     "The Princess has arrived? Come on, Branch." She grabbed Branch's hand, dragging him out of the Pod. "Grandma? Where are we going?"
"To meet the Princess of coarse."

     They arrived at the royal pod, King Peppy greeting them at the door.

     "Rosiepuff! So good to see you, old friend," Peppy said, hugging Branch's grandma.
"I heard the Princess has arrived," she said, smiling.
"You heard right. She's right in here."

     King Peppy led them into the next room, where Queen Pansy was sitting, holding something in her arms. The thing was wrapped in a blanket, so Branch couldn't quite tell what it was.

     "Where's the Princess?" Branch asked, looking around the room, seeing no one else but the four of them. Queen Pansy, chuckled. "Why, she right here." She moved the thing she was holding, revealing a small pink baby troll.

     Branch stepped closer, looking at the baby.

     "A... a baby?" he said, breaking the silence. "Everyone is so worked up about a baby?"
"Branch!" Grandma Rosiepuff scolded.
"What? It's just a baby? There's nothing special about a baby." He looked at the Princess. "And it's a girl." He stuck out his tongue, disgusted.
"Branch! That girl is going to be future Queen! Apologize right now."
"For what?"
"For insulting the Princess and her family."
"But it is a baby girl."
"Branch!"

     Queen Pansy chuckled, shaking her head.

     "It's quite all right, Rosiepuff. He's just a young boy. His feelings will change one day."
"Never," Branch said, disgusted. "Girls are icky."
"Branch!" his grandma scolded again.
"What?" Branch still didn't see what he had done wrong.

     Rosiepuff shook her head, looking at the Queen, and smiling.

     "So? What's her name?" she asked, getting closer to see the new baby.
"Poppy," Queen Pansy replied.
"Oh. That is beautiful."
"It's still a girl," Branch muttered, crossing his arms.

     "Oh. Rosiepuff. Will you come to the kitchen with me. We need to talk about..." he looked around, making sure no Bergans were listening, and then leaned into her, whispering. "The plan."
"Of coarse. Branch, honey, you stay here."
"Ok, Grandma."

     They started to walk away, Queen Pansy looking at them.

     "I'd better go help," she said. "Will you watch Poppy for me?" She held Poppy out to Branch. "The baby?" Branch asked. He did not want to spend his day with a baby, especially considering that baby was a girl. He would much rather go play with his best friend, Creek.

     They were about the same age, and had known each other since they hatched.

     "It'll only be a minute," she assured, handing Poppy to Branch, as she got up and walked away.

     Branch looked at the baby in his arms, scrunching his nose a bit.

     "What's so special about you?" he said. She looked up at him, not fully understanding what he was saying, since she had just hatched a few moments ago. "You're just a baby. All you do is sleep, and poop, and cry."

     Poppy smiled up at him, giggling a little. Branch chuckled, as he looked at her.

     "You are pretty cute though."

     He set her down on the floor, knelling in front of her.

     "Peek-a-boo," he said, covering his eyes with his hands, and then pulling them away. Poppy giggled, clapping. "Peek-a-boo."

     Branch began laughing as well, as he played with Poppy.

     In the kitchen, the grown ups were working on their plan to escape from Bergan Town.

     "We've already started digging the tunnel, but it's taking longer than expected," King Peppy said, pointing at a map of what the tunnel would look like, when it was complete.

     "Trollstice is right around the corner. Will it be done in time."
"We hope so. We've already lost so many good trolls. It would be a shame to lose more."

     As they discussed the plan, Queen Pansy suddenly heard a sound that caught her attention.

     She turned towards the room, where she left Poppy with Branch, and peeked in.

     "Well... if we keep digging..."
"Guys. Come take a look at this," Queen Pansy whispered.

     King Peppy, and Rosiepuff stood, walking over to see what the Queen was looking at.

     They smiled, seeing the two children playing, happily together.

     Branch put his hands over his eyes, one last time. "Peek-a..." He moved his hands away, seeing Poppy was gone.

     He looked around.

     "Baby?" he said, confused. Where could she have gone?

     "Boo!" Poppy suddenly shouted from behind him.
"AHHH!" Branch shouted, startled, as he spun around, falling onto his back.

     Poppy crawled up onto him, Branch laughing.

     "You got me," he laughed, sitting up, and hugging his new friend.

     The adults watched, loving how well their kids were getting along.

     "Those two are going to do great things together one day," Queen Pansy said, smiling, as she watched.