Chapter 3

(Disclaimer: I just noticed that Josuke lost his grandfather after school, not before 💀💀💀💀 In this fanfic, it happened in the morning now, ok? Lmao sorry)

Today was a rather good day for you. The class was affected by Josuke's mood and everyone avoided everyone pretty much, which was more than convenient for you. The breaks weren't a problem for you either, because Okuyasu spent those with you, lifting your mood with his idiotic character that you kind of started to enjoy. That guy grew dear to your heart more and more. You knew that you didn't want to trust anyone, but that guy felt too genuine to betray you in any way. Or was he a good actor? Were you too naive? You didn't know. Still, you knew one thing for sure: He distracted you from the fact that almost everyone in this city, or even this planet, hates you.

School soon finished and you were heading home. But as you passed a street, you were dragged into an alley, which caught you by surprise. Your stand of course avoided your hand from getting touched, but it couldn't avoid you to get pulled into the alley. You looked up to the person who pulled you away from your way and recognized that trademark hairstyle only one person would be able to rock. It was Higashikata Josuke.

"I'm sorry I startled you like this. I didn't want to talk to you while others watched. I don't want others to think stupid stuff right now where I can't have a collected mind anyway." He explained and you listened to him, not saying anything. "I may not be as happy and energetic as usual but I don't want to come off as rude." He said and you nodded in understanding, smiling at him. He noticed that and returned your smile. It wasn't as bright as yesterday, but it still felt as genuine.

"You're not rude, don't worry. Everyone can have a bad day. It's no sin to not always be happy." You tried to comfort him and he nodded. "Yeah, maybe you're right... Well, I wanted to apologize for yesterday. My friend Koichi told me about what happened when I protected you from falling. It wasn't my intention to put you in an uncomfortable situation." He said and your eyes widened. You felt your face heat up and quickly looked away. He actually apologized because of that??? Oh god, he was in a bad mood right now and he still apologizes for something that happened yesterday??

"No, it's ok, really! I should be the person apologizing because I didn't notice you calling me!" You yelled in embarrassment, but stopped when you heard his gentle chuckle. "That's no reason for you to apologize to me, idiot. I think you would also be that person who, if someone would spill boiling hot soup all over your legs, would still apologize to the other." He assumed and you fidgeted with your hands, looking down to the side while blushing again. "That sounds pretty much like me..." You admitted and felt his hand ruffle your head, which was unexpected.

"People like you are easy to be taken advantage of. Be careful." He advised you and you looked up to him. His beautiful violet-blue eyes were on you while his mouth was formed into a genuine smile. He looked very handsome right now...His smile was gorgeous. "Do I have something on my face?" He asked and you flinched. "Ah! No, everything's fine. I'm...not used to people being kind to me, that's all. I didn't know how to react..." you told him and he couldn't help but laugh a little. "It's weird how you make me laugh after I lost my grandpa today."

He did...what? You felt your good mood shatter into crumbs. You were speechless. He lost his grandfather, of course he was sad!! "Are you ok, Y/n? You-" He started but you interrupted him, by taking his hand. "I should ask you that! Oh god, I'm so sorry to hear that, Josuke..." You said and cupped your mouth with your other hand. "I'm very sorry..." You added and looked away from him. That guy lost a family member, yet he took his time to apologize to you for a dumb accident that wasn't even his fault. The fact that this guy was misjudged by you, crushed you. You felt more than bad about doubting his sincerity.