Michael X Reader: The Librarian (Pre Smut)

Working in a library has always been a dream of yours. Thankfully you managed to achieve that dream fast, as the library near your home is always looking for more staff. Most of the women there are much older than you, so they grew up in a different time and dress modestly. You often see them glaring when you come in wearing skirts that fall just below your knees and tight blouses. They especially hate your heels, which are often 4 or 5 inches high. To them, you dress unprofessionally, but in your eyes, you look fine.

That's why you're thankful when Ada Thorne starts spending time in there to talk to people who are on the verge of losing their homes because the rents are too high. She often wears clothes similar to yours and is nothing but polite to you, unlike so many others who frequent the library. The women often give scornful looks while the men watch you lustfully, something that never fails to bother you.

It's a normal work day for you, just stocking shelves and working behind the counter. Out of the corner of your eye, you see Ada enter, despite saying she wouldn't be in today. That doesn't catch your attention though, as she's often in here anyway, and she's carrying a pile of books that she's probably returning.

What does catch your attention, though, is the man beside her. His dark eyes scan the room with a look of apathy, before he wanders off, leaving Ada to return the books at the front desk. You continue with your work, semi aware of the man standing nearby. You barely pay him any attention, until the click of a lighter interrupts the silence in the library. Spinning around, you face the man responsible.

"There's no smoking allowed in here, sir."

He turns and spots you. He looks annoyed as he stares you down, obviously trying to intimidate you into letting him continue smoking. However, you maintain eye contact with your arms crossed over your chest and a scowl on your face. During this time, he studies you, from your heels, that are higher than any other librarians', to your black skirt, falling just below your knees, and your white blouse.

It's almost a full minute of staring at each other, before he backs down with a smirk, putting out his cigarette.

"Sorry, love."

You roll your eyes, turning around and going back to your work, feeling his gaze burning into the back of your head. There's no animosity in his stare though, that much you know. You're not quite sure what it is. Instead, you push it to the back of your mind and continue your work, ignoring the man, who leaves not long after with Ada.

You think that would be the end of him appearing in your life, but no. Over the next few weeks, you see him almost all the time. Whenever you're at work, he's there. You learn from Ada that he's her cousin, Michael Gray, and he's from Birmingham.

"He doesn't usually come to London very often, but he's been visiting a lot more recently," she tells you one afternoon when you're helping her find some books.

"What's got him visiting so much?" When she doesn't answer, you look down at her from the ladder you're standing on. She looks like she's keeping something from you. You scoff and roll your eyes.

"Seriously?"

"He'll probably lose interest fast enough," she assures, "just let him know that you're not interested."

And in a way, you do.

You never actually say it to him, but you hope ignoring him will let him know. That's how you get rid of every other man who shows an interest in you at your place of work. But Michael doesn't leave. He never approaches you either, nor does he stare much, but you know he's watching. Why else would he always be in the same section as you?

As time goes on, you find yourself seeking him out, and even feeling upset on the days he isn't there. It's just a phase, you tell yourself. And yet, whenever you see him, your heart beats louder and wetness pools between your legs, often making you clench your thighs together for some friction. You swear he knows the effect he has on you. The smirk he gives you whenever you make eye contact feels like proof of it.

In the evening when it's time for the library to close, you're one of the few people left to lock up. You walk around, looking to see if anyone is still inside reading, when you see him. He's sitting at one of the tables between two rows of shelves, with a book in front of him that you have a feeling he's not actually reading. He doesn't look at you, but you know he's aware of your presence. You look around, but know you're the only employee up here, and that you have to deal with him.

"Sir?" Your voice shakes, "it's closing time."

Michael finally looks at you, his eyes burning into yours, igniting a heat in your lower stomach.

"What if I don't want to leave?" He asks, making you roll your eyes.

"You have to leave, sir. We're locking up now-"

"If you want me to leave then it's best not to call me sir." He interrupts, making you freeze.

"... Excuse me?"

"If you call me sir again then I'll have to bend you over this desk and fuck you until you can't speak," he stands when he finishes his sentence, but stays in front of the desk. You gasp quietly at his words, and your body trembles with need. "Something tells me you want me to do that, don't you?"

Without even thinking about it, you walk forward until you're between him and the desk, looking into his eyes for the briefest of seconds, before pulling your skirt up and bending over.

"Yes, sir."