Chapter One: Taken Prisoner

"Seize her!"

Damn it, he's onto me. I give the dear lady who I was talking to up until now a deep bow, her husband furiously shaking his fists. I turn to leave, blowing a kiss at the merchant' wife. Her cheeks go rosy, which is enough for me. Time to leave. Except, they're here. The guards of the city. They jab their spears at me, though this wasn't the first time I had run into them. Nor would it be the last. I grab at the banner hanging from a building, emblazoned with the king's crest. Disgusting. I make my way up it, as the guards attempt to get me with their spears. Luckily, I'm well out of their reach. One throws a rock at me, though it narrowly misses my leg. I quickly pull my legs over the top, now on top of the rooftops.

I always enjoyed the views from up here. The cerulean sky, painted with wispy, snowy clouds. Someday, I'll sit up here with a lover, and fall asleep under the stars. Although, that thought will have to wait, because the guards have made it up here too. I don't hear what they shout, but a few throw their spears. I jump back, nearly tottering off the roof. That's my cue to get back down to the ground. I hop to the next roof over and slide down the banner, into the crowds. The bustle keeps me hidden from the guards, but it's also inconvenient. "Excuse me-" I mutter, as a edge past a middle-aged woman. "Sorry, can I get-" I'm oh so rudely interrupted by someone grabbing my sleeve. My heart stops, because I know I'm doomed. I can't believe those slow-witted thugs have already got to me.

I spin on my heel, preparing a punch, but I'm met by a familiar face. I lower my fists, as the stern-faced brunette glared at me. With an annoyed sigh, the fair-skinned maiden spoke. "Phoenix Macarthur , what have you done this time?" I give Amelia a sideways glance, wiping the sweat from my forehead. "No time to explain, I need to hide. Now." She shakes her head, a sly smirk on her face. "You haven't paid." she says, simply. I choke back a shout, letting out a low growl. I know they're going to be here soon, so I can't waste time with her jokes. "I told you, I'll pay you back soon." I say, with a growl. "C'mon, please? I'm in a lot of trouble right now. Please, just let me hide." I plead, forcing the sweetest smile that I can. My entire fate rests on her shoulders. Well, not my entire fate, but it damn might as well be. She looks at me, deadpan, and I can feel my sins crawling on my back.

She grins, and shrieks "Thief! There's a thief here-". I clap my hand over her mouth, hissing between my teeth. "You bitch, I could be killed- Who's going to take care of the city? We both know the guards are-" I feel her smile against my palm, and a rough hand grips my shoulder. "Willing to finish that sentence, Phoenix MacArthur ?" I feel a shudder run down my spine, and I tilt my head to look at the sandy-haired giant behind me. I give him a warm smile, my shoulder being crushed in his hands. "No need to be so formal, Acole. Phe is just fine. We're basically siblings by now, right-?" He cuts me off, giving me a glare. "Phoenix MacArthur , you are under arrest for-" I cut him off again, with a smile. It's kind of an ongoing thing with us, cutting each other off mid-sentence. "Yeah, yeah, I already know the charges. Just take me in already~" He gives an adamant sigh, grabbing my wrists.

As we walk up the stone steps leading to the palace, he leans down to whisper in my ear. "I know that smile well, Phe. We grew up together, remember? Whatever you're thinking, don't do it. If you do, you'll just end up digging a deeper grave for your-" I cut him off mid-sentence, just to get on his nerves. "You finally called me Phe! Incredible job, can we get a standing ovation?" My smile stretches ear to ear, though it drops as I continue. "Anyways, both you and I know my grave is deep enough to be in hell. I'll be alright. I'm not going to try to run away this time. I've finally accepted my fate, y'know?" He lets out a tired sigh, giving me a weary smile. "So I'll be seeing you, same time, same place, when you get out?" I lock eyes with him, waving goodbye as the guards drag me into my cell, where I await my fate.

I yelp as I'm thrown to the ground, turning to face the lanky man looming in the entrance of the cell. I smirk at him, rubbing my aching back. "Hey, watch it, Paul! Your mother made love to this body~" He just stares back in disdain, stepping inside the cell. He grabs me by the throat, slamming me into the wall. "I hope you burn in hell, along with all the other sick fucks like you." The wind is knocked out of me, but that won't stop me from making a cocky comment. "Along with your mother? I don't think I'd mind that, really~" He glares silently, dropping me to the ground. He slams the cell door behind him, the lock clinking as it's locked.

Even though this cell was basically my second home, I didn't get to sleep for a while. I knew I'd get out of here, no problems. Still, I hate it here. It's disgusting. Eventually, I fall into a restless slumber.