❝I understand, your majesty. Thank you for checking on me, I hope your majesty is also doing well.❞

❝Yes, I'm very well. Take care.❞

Xu Yang looked through the room and indeed noticed the hidden man. After she left, Mu Jong stood up showing her messy clothes.

❝This fucking bitch!❞ she said angry.

❝Don't worry about her, my sweet. She is not worthy of your anger.❞Wei Zan said.

Xu Yang went to Empress Dowager and invited her as well.

❝Do you have good news to tell us?❞ Empress Dowager asked.

❝Sort of, your majesty.❞

❝Perhaps you thought more about your decision and decided to give up the divorce idea?❞ the older woman said hopeful.

❝That's not it, your majesty. I won't change my mind on that. Please excuse me, I have to invite the Emperor as well.❞

❝Go then, take care.❞

Xu Yang bowed and left to see Zhang Wan who was training with the sword.

❝Empress! You came to see me?❞

❝I want to invite you for dinner tonight.❞

❝Oh? Did you finally changed your mind? Good then, I'll be there. ❞

❝That's not it, Empress Dowager and the concubines will be there as well, we have something to discuss.❞

❝What do you mean?❞

❝You will see.❞

❝Fine then. Say, will you fight me?❞ he asked pointing to the sword in his hand.❝ Last time I didn't got to see much of your skill.❞

❝Alright. Let me change first. ❞
Xu Yang left and changed in training clothes and tied all her hair in a ponytail.

❝Ready?❞ Zhang Wan asked jumping in one leg then on the other.

❝Mhm.❞ Xu Yang said prepared to attack.

She planned to attack first, but Zhang Wan was faster and attacked her and their swords clashed, the sound of metal on metal ringing loud.

Xu Yang stood her ground and kicked him in the stomach with her leg. After receiving a kick, Zhang Wan rapidly catched Xu Yang's leg making her stand in her other leg. The Emperor smiled and placed his foot behind Xu Yang's and then swiped his foot making Xu Yang fall on her back. He wanted to put his sword at her neck, but Xu Yang rolled away and got up.

❝That was quite good.❞ he exclaimed turning around to see her.

❝Mhm.❞

Xu Yang attacked him, but before their swords touch again she leans down as if she was reaching for the ground and kicked him under his ribs with the sword's handle. Zhang Wan's air was forced out of his body as he fell in all fours coughing. Xu Yang rapidly put the blade on his neck as he looked up at her laughing a little.

❝You won, Empress.❞

Xu Yang gave the sword to the servant that came with towels and water for the two and took the towel to wipe the sweat on her face and neck. Zhang Wan got up and dusted his clothes taking the water cup and drinking all in one breath.

❝I enjoyed competing with you, maybe next time we can go hunting, I'm curious about your archery skills.❞

Xu Yang gave him a silent look.

❝Why are you looking at me like that, Empress?❞

❝There won't be a next time, your majesty. ❞ she said before leaving without giving him time to say anything else. Zhang Wan stood there and looked at her silhouette disappearing from his sight.

"There won't be a next time" These six words ringed in his mind and made his chest tighten.

❝How ironic... ❞he whispered to himself with a smile on his face.

The dinner time approached and Xu Yang with the concubines and Empress Dowager were already at the table chatting and waiting for Zhang Wan. Shortly, he arrived and excused himself.

❝So, why did you gather here tonight, child?❞ Empress Dowager asked.

❝I've found out some news that I think everyone here should know. After hearing them, please remain calm, I don't want this dinner to end up a mess.❞ Xu Yang said and everyone stiffened thinking about the worst that could happen.

❝What do you mean, Empress?❞ Zhang Wan asked impatient.

❝Imperial Concubine Ki, please explain the situation to everyone here. Don't worry, I'll keep my promise to protect you in case anything happens.❞ Xu Yang said whispering the last sentence in concubine's Ki ear.

Concubine Ki stood up and looked at everyone's face feeling nervous and playing with her hands before opening her mouth.