"They didn't tell you anything?" Dorinda questioned.

"No because I'm not her emergency contact, Vicky is. I just know that we gotta go so can y'all please clean up and lock up for me?" Karen asked her family as she walked back out to the living room with her belongings in her bag.

"Sure thing we got you. Go on and get." Dorinda said as she got up and pushed Karen towards the door.

As they playfully bickered Vicky came rushing down the stairs and to the front door nearly running into Drew.

"Hey slow down there Speedy. We leaving now no need to rush." He said jokingly as he opened the door for her.

"Sorry I just, I gotta get there as quick as I can. She don't have no one else other than me." She sighed as she walked out the door. Karen and Drew followed her outside before they all got in the car and made their way to the hospital.

"Just stay calm and pray Vic. I'm sure everything will be fine." Karen said in attempt to soothe Vicky but honestly she was nervous herself.

They both sat there with questions brewing in there head. What could have happened to Emrys?

~ Earlier that day ~

Emrys

"Em come on we gotta head home." Vicky huffed as we stood by my locker. I just shook my head and continued to grab my things before responding.

"Go ahead and walk home. I gotta go get the rest of my stuff from the house." I responded as I zipped up my bookbag and put it on my back.

"You want me to come with you? We can call J Drew and he can help too." She offered as she began walking to the doors that lead outside.

"I'll be fine. It won't take me too long." I said as we pushed the doors open and walked out.

"Alright well be safe. And call me if you need help okay?" Vicky said as we stopped momentarily.

"I will V. I'll catch up with you later." I said as we did our little friend handshake. Once we ended it we waved to each other and began walking in opposite directions.

The whole way 'home' I was kind of dragging my feet cause I honestly didn't want to go there, but I had to get my stuff or else it would get thrown away. After about a 10 minute walk I finally made it there. I walked up the front steps and took a deep breath before knocking on the door and waiting.

After about a minute the door swung open and Tim, my foster mother's boyfriend, was standing at the door with a scowl.

"The fuck you doing here?" He asked aggressively making me shift in my spot.

"I just came to get my stuff so I can get out y'all way." I said calmly not trying to stir up any drama.

He stared at me for a few seconds before opening the screen door and letting me in the house.

"You got 15 minutes. Hurry the fuck up." He spat before walking back into the living room and sitting down in front of the tv.

I just nodded and headed upstairs to where my room was. I didn't have much stuff so I just began to throw everything into the two suitcases I had. Apparently I was taking to long because Tim soon stomped his way up the stairs and kicked my bedroom door open causing me to jump.

"The fuck is taking you so long?! You ain't got that much shit. Is you up here stealing or something?!" He accused as he made his way towards me.

"No! Ian take nothing I was just making sure I had everything." I stuttered as I quickly got up and put my arms in front of myself to protect me.

"First you got the nerve to be a fucking dyke under my roof and now you stealing from me?!" He accused again as he kept getting closer.

"Ian take nothing! I swear I didn't!" I pleaded as I started backing up to keep some distance between us.

"You know what. I got something for yo ass." He said before turning around and walking out the room.

Fear ran through my body upon those words so I began to quickly get my things together so I could walk out the door but Tim came back quicker than I thought holding a canister of lighter fluid and a lit cigarette.

"Bro what is you doing I'm finna leave now!?" I shouted in fear as I stood up and started trying to get around him to leave.

He just shoved me causing me to fall and began pouring the lighter fluid all over my things and the room. I stood up quickly trying to get him to stop but he just kept pushing my down and ruining my things. When he was done he threw the canister to the side and walked to the entrance of the bedroom and stood in the door.

We were basically having a stand off at this point. Just staring at each other in complete silence and suspense. After a few seconds he gave me a sickening grin and took one last drag from his cigarette before throwing it directly into my clothes. They lit up almost immediately and before the shock could really set in Tim closed the door and barricaded me in the room.

I ran over to the door and struggled to open it before realizing I couldn't. The fire kept growing causing me to look around the room in panic. I grabbed the half empty water bottles that were laying around my room and dumped them on the clothes in effort to put out the fire but it was no use. It just kept growing and growing and it was becoming increasingly hard for me to breathe.

I covered my mouth as I coughed and made my way over to the window. I struggled to get it open for a second but once I finally did I climbed out and hung onto the window sill as I tried to map out my jump. Before I could even process the rest of my escape plan the window unexpectedly slammed shut on my fingers causing me to lose my grip and fall onto the pavement below.

I gasped for air whilst feeling blood run down the back of my head. I fought to keep my consciousness as I struggled to breathe but I was slowly losing the fight. I guess someone heard the smoke alarms blaring from inside or maybe the fire department came but I just remember someone standing over me repeatedly telling me to stay with them. I tried my hardest but darkness slowly consumed me and then the lights went out.

~~~~~~~

word count: 1,658

edited