The stage came down in a crash of heat and flame.

September, 2020

Julie Molina exhaled deeply and hung her head.

She hadn't been inside the studio since before the last trip to the hospital. Not since her mother had gotten sick, really. The idea of being in there, of playing music when her mother was suffering, had felt like the worst kind of betrayal. And then after she'd gone...

She looked to the far end of the studio to where her mother's grand piano stood, neglected. It was covered in a large, white sheet to protect it from dust. Julie remembered placing it so carefully with her father when her mother first went to hospital. Just until she's ready to play it again, Julie had thought. That day had never come.

She wiped a tear from her eye, then another, lip trembling. Don't cry, she rebuked herself. She'd cried enough already in the year since her mother had died. She should be done with it by now.

"Tough day, huh?" Willie asked.

Julie turned to her friend, forcing herself to smile. She knew Willie would appear. He'd been in her life since her Gift first manifested when she was five. He always knew when she needed his support. She nodded. "Dad asked me to clear out the studio."

"You could say no," Willie said reasonably. "He probably wouldn't mind."

"Probably." She sighed. Ray Molina was a good man, and maybe the best dad among her friend group. If she told him she didn't want to pack up her mother's things, he wouldn't make her. "But it's been a year, you know? I should be able to do this."

"'Should' isn't the same as 'can'," Willie said.

Julie straightened her back. "But I can," she said with more confidence than she felt. She turned to face him, taking in his familiar features. His light brown hair hung in soft waves to his shoulders, and his dark brown eyes, always so kind, were looking at her with compassion. The skate key he wore as a necklace was around his neck, as well as his white puka shell choker that should've made him look like a jerk, but somehow suited him. His whole vibe was nineties grunge meets surfer dude and she just loved it. She loved him like the older brother she'd never had in real life. He was her best friend.

"I wish I could hug you," he said softly.

Julie's smile faltered. If she could ever use a hug from Willie, it'd be today. "I wish you could, too." They stayed quiet for a moment, each lost in their thoughts before Julie took another fortifying breath. "I suppose I should get started."

At that moment one of the studio's huge doors opened and Flynn came running in, long braids flying.

"Julie!" she said, immediately embracing her friend. "Your dad said you'd be in here."

Julie hugged Flynn back. "What are you doing here? I thought you had homework?"

"I do, but I just got this sense that you were going through something, and that I should be with you." Sense was the name Flynn used for her Gift, which was a limited Precognitive ability. It wasn't great. Instead of any specific knowledge, she'd just get a vague idea. It created more anxiety than anything, but sometimes it was helpful. Like now, when Julie actually needed the support.

"You're so sweet." Julie hugged her again. "And, yeah. I am, I guess. Dad wants me to clear out the studio."

Flynn made a face. "Are you ready to do that?"

"Yeah." Julie nodded. "Sure."

Flynn's look was skeptical. "You sure? Because you weren't able to perform in class today, and I'm thinking the two things might be related?"