Found Out

*Persephone*

As the sun rises, so do I. My thin, lacey white curtains can't prevent the sun from lighting up my entire room. When I open my eyes, I feel moment of bliss as the warmth hits my cheek from the glorious light shining through before Demeter opens my bedroom door and welcomes herself in.

"Rise and shine, Sunflower!" She says in a sing-song voice. As per usual, she strides over to my window to throw open the curtains and let the sun pour through, a feeling we both enjoy in the morning. I close one eye and peek through one as the curtains are thrown open and the sun shines brighter...however, I also hear a clear  crinkling sound as Demeter does this.

She quickly flips her furious head towards me with a questioning expression. She won't give me a change to explain the answer to said question, however.

My eyes widen, as I don't have time to react any other way. Did Hermes refuse to deliver my note and leave it on the floor??

I nearly want to race her to the floor...but something tells me I won't be able to pull the note out from underneath her foot anyway...I move quickly anyway out of instinct, which only prompts her to angrily grab it even more dramatically and hold it up in front of her.

"Persephone! I really thought we had left this foolishness behind us! Clearly, I have mistaken my liar of a daughter for an innocent girl with a passing fantasy." She doesn't allow me another moment before crunching the letter in her palm and storming out of the door with a slam.

She locks it.

I sit in bed, stunned. I can hear my mother on the other side, stomping through the kitchen, actually growling as she does so. I bring myself to get up, my knees shaking when I finally get to my feet.

She's going to kill me. It's as simple as that.

I can only get myself dressed in the meantime while I wait for her next move.

It's been only a few minutes of repeatedly brushing my hair before Demeter storms through my door like a raging bull. I fall backwards into my mirror, causing it to wobble on my dresser.

I steady it with my eyes on her. "Mother, I didn't write that recently, I-"

Her eyebrows perk up as she starts to walk towards me. "Oh, that's intriguing, Persephone. Your writing must have dramatically changed since I saw it last, because this isn't yours if I'm not mistaken" She holds up the tattered paper. "In fact, it's addressed to you..." She grimaces. "I really thought he would leave you alone by now in peace, but clearly he doesn't want you to move on."

She's drawing the conclusion that he's still pursuing me on his own without my encouragement? If that's the case, maybe I can slide past this a lot more easily and not destroy my chance at escape...

"However." She continues darkly. "I would have concluded his advances are unwanted if you hadn't just admitted to writing your own note, recently or not."

My mouth opens but I'm speechless.

Demeter comes and pats my shoulder nearly sympathetically...but I know she's patronizing me.

"You really need to learn a few things about deception, Persephone. You speak way too quickly. Luckily in this case, my daughter chooses to tell me the truth without even meaning to." She continues to stare at me, expressionless.

My chin wobbles. I have ruined everything. Who knows what is contained in that note.

"Don't you worry, it's nothing of meaning." She tucks the note away behind her. "Continue as we have been, daughter, and we will forget this whole mess. Alright?" She backs away from me without waiting for a response.

She hesitates once she's in my doorway. "Apollo will be here in twenty minutes. You'll go without breakfast until he gets here to keep an eye on you." She smiles fakely and closes the door, locking it once more.

I'm left, stunned and worried beyond measure. It wasn't my note? I pace back and forth as I draw the conclusion Hades must have delivered a note personally to me without my knowledge. How could I have missed it and let her find it? I feel as if I'm personally betraying him! He wouldn't have brought it unless it was important...

I snap out of it and pause in my pacing.

It could only mean one thing!

Perhaps, I haven't squandered my chances after all...

*Hades*

"Her room is ready, my Lord. Her throne throne. Everything on your list." Jasmine smiles as she stands in front of my throne.

"Good, good. You two will be her personal help from now on once she arrives." I gesture to both Jasmine and Isabelle beside her.

"It would be our honour." They both agree at once.

I stand up semi-confidently. I know what the next part of the plan is. I received her note from Hermes last night after I dropped off mine...but in it was no mention of my note. I suppose she could have written it beforehand...but I still find it a little strange. It's put a little bit of concern on my mind, giving me more hesitance that I thought I would have today.

It's killing me. Almost enough to make me pause my plans...but I can't back away and lose my nerve for a few more months. I can't afford any more delay and neither can she.

Apollo is not backing off and he will only sneak closer by the day to trying to force her hand, Demeter along with him.

"Ready the chariot." I finally order. "It's time."

My black horses whiney excitedly as I board the chariot. I grasp the reins in my hand for a moment before rushing the horses ahead. The group splits for us soon enough as I head towards the meadow.