Chapter Four: Voices in the Laundry Room

I didn't see George for about a week, and even though In only knew him for a day I found myself missing him.

On the next Saturday, I was going to the laundry room to wash some clothes. I t was late and the laundry room was in the basement that looked like one of those places criminals hide out in.

I was putting my clothes in the washer when I heard sniffles coming form the far corner. I turned around slowly and looked around. The sniffles continued and I took a step toward the dark corner. I crouch down slowly and suddenly realized who it was crying int he corner.

I tugged on his arm until he was out of the corner and he wrapped his arms around me. He sobbed into my chest and I stroked his hair comfortingly and kissed the top of his head.

"George, what's wrong?" I cooed in his ear, "Is it the voices?" He nodded and I gave him a comforting squeeze.

"They're just voices, George," I said to him, "They arn't gonna hurt you." I rested my cheek against his head and he took a shaky breath.

When he stopped crying he pulled back and leaned his back against the wall. I sat next to him and put my arms over his shoulders, and we leaned against each other.

"Are you alright now?" I asked quietly. He looked at me and sighed.

"I think so," he said. He looked somewhat embarrassed about crying like he had, "They're gone now."

I nodded, "Listen, don't go anywhere," I said. He nodded as I stood up, "I'm just gonna finish this." I finished my laundry and I heard George whimpering and muttering about Purple and Orange. I turned the washer on and turned back around to him. He buried his face in my neck and wrapped his arms back around me,

"George," I said sympathetically, "I thought you said they were gone."

"They came back, Taylor," George's voice wavered slightly and I held him tighter.

"It's alright George," I said. He pulled back from me and I wiped his face lightly.

"I odn't wanna be alone," he said, a couple tears falling onto his cheeks.

"OK," I said reassuringly, "You can stay in my room with me alright?" He nodded and stood up. I got up with him and wrapped my arm around his waist. he walked upstairs and went into my dorm room.

Midnight was still awake and reading the book George had checked out for me.

"HI TAY!" she said loudly. She startled George slightly and I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Don't be so loud, Mid," I said as I got out some pajamas and changed quickly. When I looked back to George, he had his eyes closed and his cheeks were slightly red, "Are you alright George?"

He opened his eyes and looked at me, "Yeah, you were...um changing clothes."

I giggled, suddenly realizing that I'd just undressed in front of him. I turned slightly pink and bit my lip slightly embarrassed.

Midnight cleared her throat and George snapped his gaze to the floor. I scratched the back of my head awkwardly.

George finally started to climb up onto my bed, and I followed behind him as Midnight snickered. Midnight turned off her light and it became very dark instantly. I felt George stiffen next to me, and I grabbed his hand comfortingly. He took a deep breath and relaxed a bit.

We were side by side and I was starting to feel a bit awkward when George cleared his throat nervously.

"So thinking about purple didn't help?" I asked biting my lip.

"Naw," he said, awkwardly stroking my hand, "But I'm glad you showed up."

I thought about this, and wondered why he was glad I showed up. I turned over to looked at him and put my arm under my cheek to sort of prop myself up, "Well maybe you should think of something else." I suggested. He shrugged and sighed lightly.

"I dunno," he said shyly, "What could I think about?"

"Hmm," I said, "What's your favorite song?" I slung my arm over him and he did the same.

He giggled, "I have along of those, Taylor," he said, "Anything more specific?"

 "Maybe you should thinm abou dsomething really improtant to you; some thing you care about."

 George bit his lip and looked thoughtful for a second. Our gaze locke doneach other and he stroked my cheek sweetly. He leaned down clser and his lips barely touched mine when Midnight groaned loudly, starlting George away.

 "Will you two stop talking!?" she begged. George chuckled nervously and i closed my eyes in slight embarrassment.

 "Sorry, Mid," I whispered, "Anyway, is there anything you might be able to think about?"

 "I dunno," he said again. I rolled my eyes and he chuckled, "I really don't!"

 "SHH!" Midnight said exageratedly. We bit back our giggles and George had to put his hand over his mouth to do so.

 "Try thinking about-"

 "I never hear them when I'm with you," he cut me off in a whisper.

 "Well then," I said cuddling up to him, "We'll have to be around each other more."

 George pulled me closer and I put my head on his shoulder and sighed. He rubbed my arm softly and I fell asleep in his arms.