Her hands trembled as she typed the message. It had been a year since she had seen Henry. He had gone to the West coast and she to the East. It wasn't uncommon for the SEALS to spend time in Virginia since the Navy was strong in the area, but this was the first time Henry had been sent here.

Where are you going?

Knights-Bridge.

Fiona held her breath as she waited for his reply.

I know it. I'll meet you there.

Fiona sent him the thumbs-up emoji then slid her phone back into her purse as she did her best to conceal the grin that wanted to split her face.

"Everything all right?" Bebe asked as she tweaked her hair in the mirror.

"A friend just told me he was in town, and I asked him to meet us. I hope that's O.K.?" Fiona didn't care if it was O.K. or not. If it wasn't, she would wait outside for him.

"Sure!" Lenora insisted. "I would like to meet a friend of yours. We haven't met any of your friends or family yet."

It wasn't from a lack of interest on her family's part. The Stevens had threatened to stop by once or twice, but Fiona refused to give any of them her address in an attempt to thwart them.

"Trust me when I say they are loud and pushy, and you're not missing anything." Fiona shook her head at the thought of her family.

"But we would still like to meet them," Lenora said. "We'd like to see who raised our responsible Fiona!" She threw her arm around Fiona's shoulders and squeezed.

"You sure you don't want to dress up a little for your 'friend'? Bebe asked hopefully.

Fiona smiled. "Nope, he's seen me at my worst."

BeBe shook her head in exasperation. "Then let's go!"

It was a short drive, and the bar was hopping when they arrived. Fiona took a deep breath as she followed the other two girls into the mass of young people which made Fiona feel so old.

Bebe wasn't afraid to be pushy, and when she saw a high-top table that had just been vacated, she pushed past everyone to get it.

"This is perfect. We can see the bar, the door, and the dance floor." Lenora said as the waitress stopped and cleared the table, and took their order with a quick skill that was impressive.

It only took a minute for Bebe and Lenora to take to the dance floor, and Fiona was content to hold the table while they danced.

Her stomach was a mass of quivering nerves as she waited for Henry, and she had all but given up hope that he was coming when he appeared an hour later.

Fiona's eyes were glued to him as he entered. He had shaved his beard, and he was more muscular than the last time she had seen him. The energy that surrounded him was dangerous, and Fiona could see many of the women eyeing him.

Bebe and Lenora returned to the table, laughing as they reached for their drinks. Bebe nudged Fiona and then followed her gaze as she noticed her staring.

"Is that your friend?" Bebe shouted over the music.

Fiona nodded as Henry's eyes caught hers.

Lenora's gaze had followed theirs, and she let out a low whistle as she saw Henry. "That explains a lot," she grinned over at Bebe.

"Explains what?" Fiona asked, licking her lips as Henry approached. His gaze followed the movement, and she could feel it across the room.

"Why you don't date. If I had him waiting for me, I wouldn't date either." Lenora threw back the rest of her drink, then grabbed Bebe's hand. "Let's go dance some more!"

Fiona didn't hear them as Henry reached her and stood looking down at her.

"You're beard's gone." It was the only thing she could think to say as she reached up and touched his bare cheek.

Henry took a deep breath and turned his lips into her palm, and it was as if no time had passed between them at all, but there was something different about him.

"Are you all right, Henry?' Fiona asked with concern.

Henry gave her a half-smile. "I am now. Is there somewhere we can go and talk, catch up?"

"Sure, I know a place. Are you hungry?" Fiona looked over at Bebe and Lenora and waved, watching as they beelined toward her.

"Famished," he agreed, pasting on a charming smile for Bebe and Lenora.

"Bebe and Lenora, this is Henry. Henry and I are old friends. Henry, Bebe and Lenora are my roommates." Fiona explained.

Henry leaned forward and took their hands with his charming smile still in place. "It's a pleasure to meet you both."

Fiona and Bebe grinned back with pink cheeks, but before either one of them could pull Henry into a conversation which he would be too polite to end, Fiona started to pull him away from the table.

"We're going to go and get something to eat. I'll catch up with you two later," Fiona assured them as she kept her hand tight in Henry's and led him through the busy bar and towards the exit.

When they reached the sidewalk, and she turned to look up at Henry, she noticed his grin was genuine.

"What?" she asked, her cheeks turning pink.

Henry reached for her, pulling her close. "That's the most professional extraction I've ever experienced. The guys on the team would have been impressed."

Fiona's blush deepened.

"I missed you, Fiona."

"I missed you too, Henry."

Fiona was disappointed when he only dropped a kiss on the tip of her nose. "Now, where is the food you promised?"

There was something different about Henry. It was evident there was something wrong. It upset Fiona when she thought he had been helping her the past year, but he might have needed help himself.

Linking her arm through his, she let him lead her to his car. She had the time it took them to eat to find out what was wrong.