Chapter 10

Fiona had been correct. They spent all of dinner listening to the other three couples talk about their affluent lifestyles. It was apparent that Becky and Valerie had married money and that Stephanie was about to as well. Clayton was especially prone to name-dropping at random points in the conversation while Fiona kept trying to remember if he had been that way when they had dated.

"Is it wrong that I find this entire conversation amusing?" Henry whispered in her ear as the waitress brought their checks for them to sign.

Fiona smiled and admitted to herself that it was ironic. They were trying so hard to make her feel like a lesser person by pretending to be more. When the reality was that Fiona had grown up in the lifestyle they were pretending so hard to have.

"Can you imagine the comments Uncle Mason would make if he were listening in on this conversation?" Fiona whispered back.

"Or Aunt Laura? I can hear her eye roll from here." Henry smiled.

It made Fiona sad for a brief moment. She hadn't seen them all in so long. Henry must have sensed her sadness because he grabbed her hand and squeezed it in support under the table.

"How about a drink in the bar before we call it a night?" Becky suggested to the group.

Everyone agreed but Fiona and Henry.

"What about you two?" Becky asked, turning towards them.

"Actually, I have a few friends waiting for us in the bar. They haven't meet Fiona yet, and I am eager to introduce them." Henry gave the group a charmingly apologetic smile.

The other three men stood, eager to get away from the table as the women collected purses and wraps.

"Fiona, we're planning to spend a day by the pool tomorrow. Will you join us?" Valerie asked as her husband walked away without her.

"I can join you  for a while, but I'm not sure what our plans with Henry's friends will be." It gave Fiona the perfect excuse to get out of spending the whole day with them.

"Lovely," Valerie said as she gave her another air kiss before leaving.

After they had all gone, Henry and Fiona turned to look at each other.

"Don't say it. I don't know if it's them or me that has changed, but they are not who I remember them being." Fiona quickly said before Henry could comment.

"Perhaps it's everyone who has changed. We all do. Are you up for meeting my friends for a quick drink?" Henry asked, quickly changing the subject.

"Sure, I would like that, besides which, if I don't show up, my absence might be missed by the gang. I'm sure they will be eagerly checking out you and your friends. Can I have a few minutes to go to the room?" Fiona asked as they made their way towards the exit.

"Sure, I'll meet you in the bar. Take your time," Henry said as they parted ways at the elevators.

*******

Henry took the down elevator, and Fiona took the up. He had to admit dinner with her friends had been a chore, and as he had watched them all interact with each other, he wondered if they had always treated Fiona as a second-class friend.

If they had, then it helped explain a lot about her self-confidence issues. It was his opinion that being in charge of the ranch had been a growing experience for her and had made her more self-assured, even if she didn't feel that she was.

Henry was lost in thought as the elevator arrived at the basement level. His mind had quickly moved on to their dance and the kiss that they had shared.