~ an elf's mission ~

Start from the beginning

I eventually get some shut-eye with my back against the cold, solid cement wall. I hug my legs tightly in my chest in an attempt to keep myself warm.

My sleep doesn't last long. I awaken at the feeling of cold air blowing throughout the room, goosebumps forming on my skin. Getting any sort of sleep at this point is hopeless. I reach in my pocket and take out the Deluminator that Ron bestowed upon me when he came home from school— the one Dumbledore gave him.

I click the Deluminator and the light from the torch diminishes, everything going dark. From across the room, I see Theo and Luna's silhouettes. The darkness of the room almost leaves me forgetting where I am, makes me forget that I am trapped in a fucking cellar.

The Deluminator clicks again, returning the light back to the torch. Startling me half to death, Dobby transpires before me. He stands proudly at three feet tall, fiddling with his fingers. My mouth gapes open as the house elf approaches me slowly.

"Dobby?" I whisper, rising to my feet from a sudden boost of energy. "What— What are you doing here?"

"Dobby is here to save Sage Potter and her friends, of course," his high-pitched voice squeals.

I stare at him, stunned. Amazed. Hopeful. "H-How did you— How did you get here?"

"I'm an elf," he shrugs. "Elves can apparate and disapparate anywhere at any time."

"So— So you mean you can apparate the three of us out of here?"

"Of course," he grins, his large tennis-ball-colored green eyes gleaming up at me. "That is why Dobby is here. To rescue you."

I let out a sigh of relief, breathlessly tiptoeing over to Theo and Luna. Dobby watches me intently, standing in a pair of mismatched socks.

"Theo, Luna. This is Dobby—" He saunters over to us, frolicking his tiny arms back and forth. "Dobby is a house elf," he says proudly.

"He can— He can apparate us out of here."

Theo and Luna rise from the ground, widening their eyes in amazement. "That's brilliant," Luna breathes. "Can you really, sir?"

Dobby smacks his hand to his mouth, staring blankly at Luna. His lips curl upwards into a smug grin. "Oooo, Dobby likes her very much," he glows, darting his eyes between me and Luna. "Miss Lovegood calls me sir. No one ever calls Dobby 'sir.'"

"It's a real pleasure to meet you, Dobby," Theo greets, reaching for the elf's hand. "Where are you apparating us to?"

"The home of the Weasley's, of course," he replies. "Mister Harry Potter instructed that if you get into any trouble, I should bring you there."

Dobby reaches for my hand, but I quickly jerk it away, coming to a revelation. "Wait—" My eyes peer over to the gate keeping us locked in here. "What about Draco? He— He can't stay here."

"No need to worry. Dobby will come back to retrieve Mister Malfoy once you three are safe at the home of Weasley," he assures, taking hold of my hand gently.

Luna grabs onto his other hand while Theo takes hold of hers. Within seconds, we vanish into the air. The four of us tumble onto the solid ground near the Burrow, hearing the wind blowing through the tall grass. Lord, the fresh air is vitalizing. I stagger to my feet as Theo holds Luna in his arms.

Gazing up at the seven-story house, I feel my bones trembling. It has been weeks since I have seen everyone. I almost feel like I betrayed them by running away with Draco and giving no warning. It was a selfish act. Extremely selfish.