Chapter 34: Ready For...?

Start from the beginning

"Why?" Elijah asked looking between us.

"He asked me to dinner." Elijah raised his eyebrow and before he could do or say anything "Relax. Just as friends..."

O'Conley smiles and hands me his phone. I put my number in before handing it back. He quickly text me so I had his number.

"Look I have to get going but don't forget to text me, ok? I'll be waiting to hear from you"

"Ok. Bye"

He smiles and walks away. When he's out of our sight I look over at Elijah.

"You sure you're actually ok? What King said..."

"It's fine. Like I told O'Conley...that was my fault. He's pissed and hurt. I know he wants us to be one big happy family but that just can't happen right now. There's just to much to do. He's got his shit to deal with and so do I. Maybe Andrew won't be too bad...one dinner won't kill me"

"It might when your deranged baby daddy finds out you're going out with another man"

"I can handle King..."

A week later I'm sitting across from O'Conley at a really fancy restaurant. Not really my thing but I'm trying to make the best of this. It's actually weird...he seems genuinely like a good guy. I'm finding it hard to believe he'd threaten King's life.

"How's your food?"

"Oh really good. Thank you. This place is...nice" I said smiling.

"I'm glad you like it. And thanks for agreeing to come here with me. I know you have a lot going on."

"It's fine. Nothing I can't handle on my own"

"Good. Uh...can I be honest with you?" He asked almost looking nervous

"Sure"

"Are you planning on dating King again?"

"No. I can honestly say after everything that's happened he and I could never go back to the way things were. Being his girlfriend is in my past."

"Well good. Then maybe you'd consider being mine one day?"

"What?"

"You heard me. You deserve someone better than him. I could show you how much better of a man I am than that psycho."

My hand tightens around the steak knife I'm currently holding out of pure muscle memory. I loosened it hoping he didn't notice. Guess my brain didn't like hearing someone talk shit about King.

"Yeah well King won't just let anyone around our son when he's born. I won't either."

"What if he wasn't a problem."

"What does that even mean? It's not like he'll just leave."

"Didn't he already do that to you?"

"How did you know that?"

"Was that supposed to be a secret? Everyone knows he left you for months. A man who loves you would never do that."

"Yeah well when you find that man let me know"

"I already found him. Me..."

"Yeah, very funny. You don't even know me Andrew."

"I'm not laughing. I love you. Always have. I hated going to meeting with my father when I was younger until the first time I saw you at your family's home in Italy. You were so beautiful. I think you were about 17 at the time. I watched you from your grandfather's office as you threw knives at targets and sparred with some guards not far from that garden area out back. I couldn't look away. You wore navy blue shorts and a black cropped top with your hair in a high ponytail. I'd never seen a woman move the way way you did."