Chapter 9: Cookie dough and Kidnappers

N E Y Z A 

'I'm so glad you're back, even if it's just for a day,' mother said, rolling out the cookie dough. 'I know your schedule has been jam-packed lately.'

I smiled, fiddling with the shape cutters. 'How could I not come home when you made that scrumptious cake especially for me?'

'Did you like it?'

I rolled my eyes. 'When do I ever not like your cooking? Also, Jaza tasted some of it and said to tell you that you must be sent down from heaven.'

Mother laughed uproariously. 'I'm so glad she enjoys my food. Call her over some time.' 

I nodded. 

Rosaline Kestrel, biologist, was the mitochondria of the family. Her every movement was filled with energy, and her voice oozed confidence. Yet her most prominent traits were her passion and empathy. For this, she was a very well-loved figure wherever she went. 

Her personality contrasted sharply with that of my father, William Kestrel, a mannerly general physician with a subdued, introverted personality and a quick smile. While I had inherited most of our mother's behavioral traits, Comet took most of our father's, though he had mother's blonde hair and onyx eyes. 

'So,' mother said, snapping me out of my rumination, 'How's college? Meet any-' she wiggled her eyebrows, '-interesting people?'

'College is hard work, but the people are fun and lively, which makes it a bit easier. As for interesting people,' I hesitated, but I knew my mom could see right through me. 'I met one, though I don't think he cares about me.'

'Someone who isn't head over heels for you? Has the cow finally jumped over the moon?' mother joked.

I was about to retort when the doorbell rang. 

'I'LL GET IT!' Comet hollered, sliding down the stairs, tripping over his own feet, and doing some A-rate ballet. Then he stopped in front of the mirror in the hallway and smoothed his hair before running to the door. 

'Is he wearing makeup?' I asked my mother in a half-whisper. She shrugged. 'Your brother has been acting weird lately. I have to check on my plants now. Can you manage these on your own?' she gestured to the cookies.

'Sure thing.'

Shortly after my mom left, a very red Comet walked in with a striking man in a coat and glasses. He had an all too familiar aura around him. 

'T-that's my sister, Neyza,' Comet said, pointing. 

I waved. 'Pleasure. And you are?'

'Huang Renjun,' the man said. 'Comet's tutor.'

'You have a tutor?' I asked incredulously. 'Didn't you get all A's in your exams though?'

'U-uhm, I mean, my language grades have been going down lately, so, yeah,' Comet said. 'Renjun, my room is upstairs, and-'

He skidded to a halt, cursing. 'My room is a mess.' He spun around. 'Wait here while I go clean it. It'll only take a second, I promise,' he said rapidly, running up the stairs again. I smirked. 

'So, what are you?' I asked Renjun. He looked confused for a moment, then relaxed. 

'You caught on rather fast,' he noted with a smile.

'I've seen way too many of your kind by now. I know the difference.'

'I like that. I'm Wisdom.'

'Wisdom.' I said. 'And how does one... summon Wisdom? For research purposes, ofcourse.'

He chuckled. 'I can't be summoned. Much like Victory, or Truth and Lie, or Youth, or D- anyway, spirits like me just,' he waved his hands vaguely, 'float about.'