Chapter 49: Just Facts

Start from the beginning

With a smirk, he glanced across the table. "I don't think anyone should be eating it then."

"Hey." Storm reached over and whacked his arm. "It's good." She motioned to Darius. "He's on his second piece."

Darius nodded. "Didn't know my wife was such a good cook." He kissed her cheek, before going back to devouring everything in sight.

"I'll go get you one," said Rose, patting Xavier's arm as she stood to leave.

"Not to big. I'm not one for sweets either."

I held up my fork to Titus.

"I'm good, really." He stuffed a roll was turkey to the point it was difficult for him to keep it all on the bun.

"If I sprinkle bacon on it, would you eat it?"

Giving me a look that said he clearly was not amused, he quickly ate the pie off the end of my fork. "Hmmm... not bad, not bad at all."

I picked at my favorite dessert, before sliding the plate over to Titus. He may not like sweet, but if there's food in front of him, he'll eat it, and in the end, he did finish off the last of it.

"Are you done?" I asked.

Titus leaned back in his chair and nodded. "I love eating here. It always so good."

"Well thank you, Titus," said my mom as she started to clean up. "I'm always happy to have you around. I never have to worry about trying to get these two to each leftovers the next day." She nodded to my father and me.

I shrugged. "I get it from dad."

My father scoffed and stood. "And your wit from your mother." He ruffled my hair, before going with his brothers inside.

Grabbing Titus's hand, I led him outside to the backyard. The place was overran by children, so we slipped around front and sat down on the hood of his family's SUV.

"It's a nice day for November." Titus glanced up at the sky.

"Do you already have snow?"

"About half a foot."

"I really don't like snow," I sighed. "Besides Christmas, I'm not a fan of winter at all."

"It's not so bad." He pulled me over to him and situated me between his legs. He draped his arms over my shoulder. "It's nice actually. In the summer we're always in human form, but winter we can be in ourselves without dying of heat."

A truck drove past and I glanced up at it. Chris again. The guy was annoying. "Which form do you prefer?"

"Werewolf, the way I was born." He laid his head against mine.

"I want to see what a baby werewolf looks like."

"There's some pups at the cave. They're not newborn. Around three and four, but they're still too young to know how to shift."

"Hmmm... you really aren't human. You have to learn to look like this." I looked over my shoulder and scanned his face. "Was it weird? The first time you saw yourself as human."

"It's kinda like being reborn," he chuckled. "It's different, though. Learning to take wolf form, wasn't nearly as shocking as suddenly finding yourself furless."

I took in a deep breath, and watch Chris's truck pass by again. "It's going to be the opposite for me. Being covered in fur," I rubbed my hand up and down my arm. "I'm not even into a ton of body hair."

Titus turned me around. "You don't seem to mind when I'm covered in hair." He pressed his forehead to mine.

"I like your fur. It's soft."