Chapter 4

Once Becca and Ethan brought order back to Naveen's kitchen, she bounded back into the dining room with a bottle of pinot noir in each hand for them all to share much to everyone's elation. Ethan hung back during the first bottle, opting to gather blankets and towels for the guests.

The group of gossips played card games and continued letting the conversation flow as freely as Naveen's hand. Running out of hospitable things to keep him occupied, Ethan poured himself a generous glass and observed the people around him. With much convincing from the group he eventually gave in to the pressure and joined the game of 'Bullshit'. When that got boring they moved rooms in the name of tranquil comfort.

They all sat in the living room watching Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby as the storm raged on outside. Naveen was quick to make sure everyone had copious amounts of wine and cheese before retiring to bed. Without the scrutiny of his father figure Ethan felt he could be a little more carefree.

Under the cover of darkness Ethan let himself drape his arm behind Becca against the back of the love-seat, making sure to keep his touch a distance away, the soft cushions dipped under the weight of his muscle. She felt the warmth of his presence along the base of her neck. The short invisible hairs stood up at the electricity emitting off him, igniting her senses in the best possible way. Becca smiled to herself, moving a bit closer to him so their sides were completely touching. She leaned into him just enough that the fabric of their clothes were pressed flat against the other. 

Her eyes darted around the dark cabin. Elijah had moved from his wheelchair and to the edge of the three-seater sofa. Sienna sat next to him in the middle and was now lounging out over Naveen's deserted seat with a throw pillow cuddled deep in her small embrace.

The coast was clear. Everyone was too engrossed in the film to pay any mind to the diagnosticians on their left.

Boldly, Becca rested her head gingerly on the curve of Ethan's shoulder. Her friends were none the wiser.

Pushing their luck a bit further Ethan slid his arm closer to her shoulder blades. She reciprocated their game by placing a hand carefully on his muscular thigh.

Ethan's enchanting blue eyes did their own quick survey of the scene to make sure Sienna and Elijah were still oblivious. When he was certain her friends were too caught up on the imagery, Ethan cupped his free hand over hers. The corner of Becca's lips noticeably perked as she laced their fingers together.

"I love this story," she whispered into his ear.

"Why? It's a tragedy. There is not one likable character in the whole plot," he whispered back. 

"That's what makes it so compelling. They're flawed and real."

Before Ethan could rebuke, her favorite line was about to be said.

"Gatsby? What Gatsby?" she mimicked looking over to Ethan.

Her eyes held the same adoration reflecting from Daisy Buchanan's character. It was hopeless and all-consuming, fiery and full of... something Ethan couldn't place. All he knew was when that line fell delicately off her tongue he couldn't help but parallel the feeling of him and Becca being the only two people in the universe. Ethan had that smile - that one smile reserved only for her. That one smile full of eternal reassurance and pride, making it as if his whole world revolved around her in that soulful moment. A glimpse into who Ethan was and not who Dr. Ramsey needed to be. 

Becca was mere inches away. One movement and it would all be over. Her eyes flickered down to his lips and back to the large television screen, ever so enchanted by the modern classic playing out before them. Ethan was thankful for her lack of focus. He let out the breath he was holding in he held onto her hand just a bit tighter.