Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

When I settled in the bed, someone got the lights and the room went dark. At some point, I felt Xavion's arm curl over my waist. I didn't need to see my soul to know it was darkening.

...............................................

The next morning, Grant entered bright and early with some random clothes he picked up at the store. There were just a few shirts and jeans for Xavion and I. Just to hold us off for a few days until we got a better plan. We both thanked him before he headed out again for work.

The second Xavion and I were alone, dressed, and ready for the day, he did the most predictable thing possible.

"Okay, Ishy. Now that the warden's out, we're gonna get started on the real plan."

I groaned loudly, tossing my head back.

Xavion held his hand out. "Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Last night, when we were laying in bed, I got inspiration!"

"Let's wait until Grant gets back." I suggested, looking for the remote for the TV. When I finally found it, I picked it up and showed it off to Xavion. "Let's watch some TV, huh?"

I clicked the power button, but the TV opened with a bunch of green and pink lines, followed by a jarring static noise.

"Looks broken."

I bit my lip. "I dunno, maybe it's the channel that--" the TV suddenly sparked, making Xavion jump away while I cut off in a scream.

"Turn it off before we get a sequel to yesterday's fire!"

I quickly turned the fire hazard off. Xavion turned to me, looking almost cocky. "Well, your TV plan didn't work out. Now, it's time to discuss my plan."

I groaned. "We can't attack them again-- it'll just make everything worse."

He shook his head. "We don't attack. We sneak in."

"This already sounds like the worst idea ever." I sighed.

"Then, we listen to what they plan on doing. Get some more info."

I glowered. "More like, get caught and kidnapped."

"More like, figure out when they next plan to kidnap and avoid it!" Xavion grinned. "Hey, we need more info if we want to win this war we've started."

"Okay," I relented slightly. "We'll wait for Grant--"

Xavion cut me off with a groan. "We can't! Mass happens hella early and he's gone at work. Plus, we'll have to wait until next Sunday if we don't do it today." He shrugged. "That's a week, and they can make another move by then. We've gotta make our move now."

"It's a bad idea." I protested. "What if they recognize us?"

Xavion scoffed. "You don't think I haven't planned for that?"

..................................................................

The fake mustache felt uncomfortable on my face and my thighs were burning from remaining in their crouched position. I was over by the wall, hidden behind a crude statue of Jesus on the cross. Xavion was right behind me, finally wearing something other than his leather jacket. He had a T-Shirt that had a superhero on it, claiming that "no one would expect a demon to look this much like a loser." He also had this weird hat on that he called a "fedora." My baseball cap and fake, sticky mustache were doing wonders covering my face. But, it did nothing to ease the boredom of trying to sit still through church. Thirty minutes into mass and they had not even mentioned anything about the house they burned down last night.

I wasn't listening too closely, but Xavion reached forward and covered my ears during the prayers anyway. "I don't want any of their holy energy to taint you." He'd whispered in my ear.

I know it was because he didn't want to reverse the hard work he put into helping me sin. Yet, I found it oddly cute. He'd softly scoff at every Hail Mary and bible verse.

When mass was coming to a close, we were sad to hear it wrapping up quite normally. Annoyingly normally. There was surely something deeper going on here than we thought. Maybe their Sunday masses were serious and weekday masses were dedicated to angel hunting? Either way, Xavion and I (and hopefully Grant) would have to come up with some other way to spy on them.

Before people were released, Xavion patted me softly. "Let's get out of here before there's a crowd leaving." He whispered against my ear. I had to move first, because he was trapped between me and the wall.

I nodded and softly began my way out of the exit, ducking behind whatever I could without trying to look too suspicious. Xavion did the same behind me as we made our way to the exit.

Of course, a boy came out of the bathroom and looked up at us. Our eyes met and his widened in recognition.

"Wait, aren't you guys the--" Fast as lightning, Xavion's arm jut out and covered the boy's mouth.