Chapter 10

Chapter 10: First Bittersweet: Edward Newgate
First Bittersweet ~ Edward Newgate

I was never fond of my business meetings. Nothing new or interesting ever comes up. It was always the same people attempting to impose the same ideas in my company, and no matter how many times I would openly scorn such useless suggestions, the same propositions would be brought back on topic, taking form in different variations. In addition to that type of nuisance, there were the appearances of associates from the other companies. I often find them fawning at my feet for my aid and favor, to the point of my absolute revulsion. How funny that was, especially since their bosses, who were also my so-called critiques, claimed they could raise a finer business industry than my own—the nerve of them.

"It's like high school, really. Everyone always tries to please the popular group even if they sometimes hate them, deep down. It's so normal for everyone that they don't mind that anymore," Ace once commented as I watched him lifting weights, as part of his daily exercise, in our basement's gym. Of course, he wouldn't know. I've been through high school once in my life—just like him—and I knew for a fact that petty teenage love problems and social identities were less troublesome than the badgering idiots inside the board rooms.

Today would be a fine example of how bothersome meetings could turn out to be. I had just entered the meeting room, only to encounter about fifteen of my board directors standing up to acknowledge me simultaneously. Each of them began performing their own versions of kowtow while I approached my seat at the end of the room. It's been how many years since I've started my business empire, and to be honest, getting to my chair every single day was the most tedious part of my job. Their words came droning out as I'd get this meeting started, and even if I didn't know what it was exactly that they were trying to present me with, I knew their intentions. Business meetings, fawning and kissing up to me? They're all the same.

Of course, that was only the front of my business career. There was that other side of my pursuits that I would rather deal with on a more regular basis. I was always apprehensive in taking part in the usual meetings taken place in Whitebeard Corporations, but meetings with Zeff was another story.

Blackleg Zeff, now there was a man I could respect—always to the point and honest to boot. He neither used sweet talk nor fancy approaches—he'd just come up to me, or even call me, and say "Edward, let's make a deal". His suggestions were never pointless, in comparison to some of my executive officers, proving his intelligence. If I hadn't seen any competence at all in him, I wouldn't have even associated myself with the man, and the Baratie wouldn't have been a success over the years.

I could never forget how that world class restaurant of his started. It was a national holiday when the idea came to Zeff—who was, back then, the head chef of a hotel restaurant. There was no office that day, and on that pleasant afternoon, he came for a visit.

I suppose his occasional visits during those days were his expressions of condolences. I already lived alone during that time, and Zeff, the good friend he was, often dropped by to keep some company. We would usually spend time by the garden, enjoying our tea, while engaging in long, vivid conversations about the week's current events. Sometimes, we'd even have a few games of chess together. Who the victor would be was anyone's guess.

"Edward, do you suppose I should make a bigger name of myself as well?" Zeff had once asked while we sat down and ate, "After all, you've already outdone yourself with creating Fishman Industries under Whitebeard Corporations. All of Japan's best restaurants fancy the fish you provide."

Fishman Industries was one of my industrial departments under Whitebeard Corporations. The main office was here in Grand Line City while the fisheries were situated in East Blue City— where the freshest seafood could be caught. It was a business I had in mind for my company's branch in Japan. After all, the Japanese loved sushi, and whether a recession would hit the banks or not, I knew for a fact that seafood will always be part of the nutritional diet. It turned out to be a huge success, with all the best restaurants of Japan ordering from my establishment. The restaurants and markets sold my fish, and in exchange, they return the favor with my share of their income.