Chapter 1 - Begin Again

Hey there everyone! As promised, here is the first chapter of Guardian! Enjoy!

If you have not read the previous book in this series, Warrior, please do so, as it will help you to avoid confusion.

Keep on rockin' on!

***

Chapter 1 – Begin Again

Corith shifted uncomfortably his seat.

The meeting had gone on much longer than he had anticipated.

He had been called into the Head Instructor’s office rather unexpectedly, but before Gareth had had time to go over whatever he had wanted to go over, a messenger had arrived with an urgent message.

He tried to overhear, but all he caught was “…ships…few survivors…Seed planted…” and after that, Gareth had called a meeting of several top generals and Instructors, including Corith, the General of the Southern Army.

***

Corith narrowed his eyes at the woman across from him as one of the generals droned on about modifying the “second-continent strategy in light of recent events”.

This female was familiar. She studiously ignored him when he would look at her, but he could catch her stealing glances at him as well.

So who was she?

Corith shifted his eyes to Gareth.

The man’s eyes were red. From allergies? Unlikely.

Sorrow?

Yes. But if that’s the case, sorrow over what?

“…And you’ll be sent over as well, Corith, in three months time.”

Corith shifted his attention again, to the man talking. He seemed vaguely familiar, too. But not in the same way as the woman.  “Yes, sir.” Corith replied as he searched his memory. Then he remembered. The man speaking looked like an older version of his old friend, Proteus. He looked for the man’s name on his uniform and saw Edward embroidered on it.

Perhaps they’re both from the same genetic sample?

Gareth cleared his throat and rose to his feet. “Well, then. That concludes this meeting. Thank you all for coming on such short notice.”

***

As far as Corith could tell, the woman hadn’t said a single word in the entire meeting, and she disappeared as soon as she left the meeting room.

Odd.

He strapped his sword on, and as he did, he noticed something. A very small difference in the weight of his weapon. He carefully drew the blade out by about two inches, and as he did, a small piece of paper fluttered to the floor.

Corith stooped to pick it up.

midnight. training room 1409. come alone.

***

My opponents are all around me. I never thought I’d say this, but they’re much faster and more experienced than me, and the outlook is bleak.