Chapter 1

The Gusu Lan Clan is a cultivation clan based in the Cloud Recesses , a residence on a remote mountain outside the city of  Gusu . The Cloud Recesses are constantly enveloped in mist, giving it the appearance of a place floating on an ocean of clouds in the immortal realm. The  sect is known for 'being righteous'. Directly outside the entrance there was the Wall of discipline with 1200 rules caved on it. 

Lan Clan leader , Qingheng-Jun is one of the strongest cultivator of the generation . The two sect heir , the children of Madam Lan and Qingheng-Jun are known as Jade twins.

Gusu Lan decided to host lectures in summers for cultivators of young generation . Many heir and disciples from defferent Sects were invited . This involved Jiang clan , Jin clan , Nei clan and very few other sects. 

Jiang Sect has sent their two heirs , Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng , along with disciples . Jin Sect sent their heir , Jin Zixuan along with disciples . Nei Sect sent their second heir , Nei Huaisang along with disciples . While Wen sect rudely rejected it saying they are already superior and don't need their lecture for their cultivators .

One day an urgent news arrives , disciple Su She  bows to Sect leader.

" Sect leader we received information that villagers of Cai Yi town have asked Gusu lan sect for help with recent incidents regarding Water Ghosts. " He informed.

Qingheng-Jun found this matter very weird . He decided to send his sons to inspect the matter . Lan Xichen , the sect heir and Lan Wangji , the head disciple decided to inspect the matter next morning. Few Lan disciples prepared for their journey . Next morning they were also joined by Jiang disciples . They offered help as they already had experience dealing with the water ghosts.

Soon they arrive in Cai Yi town . It is a waterfront town in the Gusu region, located approximately 10 kilometers from the Cloud Recesses . It is connected by a waterway to Biling Lake . The houses have white walls and grey roofs, and the rivers are filled with boats carrying baskets and people. On the banks, many goods are sold, including flowers, fruits, bamboo crafts, pastries, tea, and silk.

The boat with Jade twins were in the front followed by a both with Jiang Cheng and another  two boats of  Lan and Jiang disciples separately.  They asked the civilians to move away from to the lake .

They were using two ways to catch to water ghosts . First were the nets , classically used by Lan sect . Second was the Compass of Evil . A device that can say the direction of malicious creature, from low level soul consuming ghosts , sprits, beasts to soul devouring demon . It was invented by a rouge cultivator . The disciple boats were filled with low gossip about him and how Yilling and many other place consider him as a their leader . Soon the compass showed direction and sound of swords leaving their sheaths we're heard in the direction shown . 

Soon a disciple pointed " the net moved !!"

Bichen unsheathed and cut through them . Jiang Cheng carefully finished cutting the water ghosts without leaving anything behind.

"There is more there " A disciple pointed out. 

Black shadows appeared near the water surface. The compass showed in the direction but net didn't catch anything. Bichen unsheathed towards the direction but did not strike anything . Understanding the situation Lan Xichen instantly asked everyone to ride swords . But another disciple had unsheathed his sword but the sword did not return . The disciple was Su She . His cheeks turned red with embarrassment. He glanced at Lan Wangji who ignored him. Jiang Cheng pulled him but the sword could not hold the weight . Just then someone grabbed his hand and said in a teasing tone

" ChengCheng don't get into trouble when gege is not there . "

"YOU"

Looking at the man in Black and red rope with silver mask , riding his infamous sword Suibian followed by 10 -12 disciple with similar black and red ropes everyone knew who he was . They thought same thing at same time " Flute Master" well except Jiang Cheng who cursed him loudly.

_____________

Note : how madam lan's innocence was proved will be shown later. And the this is improved and developed version of evil compass.

Gege - Elder Brother