41

"How dumb do you think I am?"

I was struggling to grasp what was going on, eyes still wide as I watched the boy shake his head. My vision blurred, though I was unsure whether that was the poison or the panic flaring up from within.

"You really thought that's how easy it'd be? Slip some of your pretty poison in my drink, and that's it?" He faked a pout, amusement lingering in his features as he looked at me. "And then you didn't even make sure I don't swap the glasses— you made it almost too easy."

How long did it say the Venectu took to kill someone? It surely didn't seem like I had enough time to listen to Malfoy.

My eyes flickered through the room in a panic, regretting not looking up more about the antidote as his voice quickly faded into the back of my head. I swallowed thickly, trying my best not to cave at the burning pain and the scarce airflow.

"Look at me, Hayes."

When I did, it felt like the only thing surging through my veins was adrenalin and poison. And my gaze was as venomous as the venom in my blood as it met his.

Though, my already heavy breath hitched at what he was holding between his fingertips; a little vial, smaller than my own with a clear substance shimmering inside of it.

He followed my gaze, and once more, a victorious smile graced his sharp features. He huffed before he said, "Oh, this?" amusement in his voice. "Just the antidote."

My eyes narrowed, though before I could act on anything he had said, a loud cough rattled through my chest as I heaved for air.

Holding his hand out to me, vial still in it, I eyed the apparent antidote carefully. I didn't think I had any more to lose— something about feeling poison slowly — yet dangerously fast — damage every single organ in my body made me somewhat careless as to what else I poured down my throat.

It couldn't get much worse.

As my eyes met his in yet another glare, he gave me a slick but threatening smile. "Listen to me carefully," He then said, demeanour entirely serious again. There was an edge to his voice, and as he went on with his words, I struggled to stand up straight; struggled to breathe.

Malfoy took a deep breath. "Don't ever try that again, Hayes."

There wasn't a moment of hesitation as he held the vial out to me, and I reached for it in a matter of seconds. Though, as he pulled his hand — and the vial with it — away, my eyes landed on his again in something that could've almost been desperation.

"Tell me," He demanded, his voice husky as he stepped closer to me, his hands clutched behind his back. At my somewhat questioning look, he clarified his words. "Tell me you'll never try it again."

In literally any other situation, I would've loudly protested at his demand; walked away with my middle finger high up in the air. Though, now, when I could barely stand up, never mind take a proper breath, I couldn't care less about his power play.

"Go on," He urged. "Be a good girl and tell me."

With a choked groan — a sound ridden by pain and struggle — I nodded. "I won't," I forced out through gritted teeth. "I won't. Now give—"

I cut myself off as he held the vial out between the two of us, and it took less than a second for me to grab the antidote; The few drops of clear liquid all it took for the air to flow back into my lungs and the pain in my abdomen to calm.

My breath was still heavy; my eyes pointed at the ceiling as I took a deep breath; empty vial breaking on the floor as I let it slip out of my hand.