30

"You'll do no such thing." The tip of my wand jabbed into his neck, harshly forcing him against the same bedpost I had leaned against just a few minutes ago. Contrary to the atmosphere in the room, the melody coming out of the music box still went along its usual, calm pace.

His eyes darted back and forth between my eyes and my wand steadily, head tilting in a mixture of nonchalance and enjoyment. He huffed.

"You know I have to— seeing as I don't know what you're planning with it. Have to make sure I won't regret it later on, you know?" He drawled, an innocent smile on his lips that turned into a devious smirk just seconds later.

"Well, what's keeping me from not killing you on the spot, then?" I hissed back, another jab of my wand against his throat. "You know, to make sure I won't regret it later on?" His own words fell out of my mouth in a low whisper; eyes narrowed onto his.

Malfoy's head cocked to the side, my eyes trailing down to that sharp jawline of his when he said, "I don't know, what is?" in an equally low voice. His tongue poked the inside of his cheek before a victorious smirk plastered across his lips.

My eyes remained steady on them, pretty pink and parted as his tongue flicked over his bottom lip. Eyes only diverting when his hand went to cup my chin, tilting it upwards harshly for our eyes to connect once more.

I ignored the heat crawling up my neck; instead raised my chin even higher in defiance to urge him to let go.

He only hummed at the gesture, an eyebrow quirking as he repeated his question. "Hm?" He wondered. "What is it that's keeping you from... how did you say—?" He thought for a moment — "killing me on the spot?" There was an edge to his voice, though overall, he seemed... amused by the words escaping his mouth. "I think those were the words you used."

I scoffed, nose scrunching up in annoyance at his mockery. If he thought I wouldn't follow through with my words, he was dumber than he first led on.

"You're playing with fire, Malfoy."

"I'll wait until I get burned."

The hand still holding my wand against his throat quickly moved to push his own hand – still cupping my chin – with a singular, harsh shove. A grunt escaping my lips at the motion as I took a step back, his arm limply falling to his side.

It only took him a moment to adjust to my movement, and while my arm was already stretched out in front of me, purple sparks flying out of the wand in my hand as the spell was about to roll off my tongue, his own wand found its way into his grasp.

It was a singular, dry scoff escaping his lips at the sound of my wand hitting the floor. My brows knitted together tightly, eyes following its movements as it rolled across my floor, the only thing stopping it the leg of Daphne's bed.

My gaze snapped up to his, nose twitching in irritation at the arrogant look on his face. He pocketed his wand, instead opted for his hand that grabbed me by my neck, pushing me across half the room until my back hit the window looking out into the black lake.

I tried not to seem as humiliated as I actually was. Instead tilted my head, a few wild strands of orange falling into my face at the motion.

"'Been practising, have you?" I wondered smugly, and Malfoy raised his brows in surprise. It was quiet between us for a moment, his hand still on my throat, though his grip loosening as he thought about his next words.

The calm tune coming out of the box on my nightstand didn't falter at the thick atmosphere in the room. It was still playing in the background, prominent now, that a short silence had fallen between us.