Ch. 7: Play Ball (Part 1)

"My pitching has not been the best in these pervious days but today I shall reach a new peak!"

"Shut up, Eijun-san," Alexia scolded as she set her bag down next to his. They were in the dug out at Field B, waiting for the practice game to start. Alexia stretched her arms back. "This isn't an official game so it doesn't count as your debut either."

Since it was Golden week, Seido had plenty of games to play. The second string had gotten to play on the first couple days and had just gotten off of a rest day. Alexia was excited for this game as she lightly massaged her cheek. The coach had asked her about it when he saw her in the indoor arena when she got back from town. Her nerves were making her nauseous as she explained the situation to the coach, praying that Miyuki and the others were right and that he wouldn't be upset. Once she had finished with her explanation, he had expressed that he was glad she was alright but that she wouldn't be allowed to play until it had faded. He didn't want other teams to see her on the field with a large bruise decorating her cheek. Just that morning, she had shown him that it was mostly faded and he had promised to let her pitch at some point during the game today.

"Are you ready, Miya-san?" Haruichi asked from next to her, dragging her out of her thoughts. She turned and smiled at the boy, nodding. He offered her a small smile in return.

"I'm more nervous than I have been in a while, but yeah, I think I'm ready," Alexia said

"Don't be nervous! Act just like you do during practice!" Eijun practically yelled in her ear. "Oh wait, don't! You're too laid back and also mean! You're too much like that Tanuki bastard so be nicer!" Alexia rolled her eyes at him. "There! You're too-!"

"Shut up before I wring your neck," Alexia growled, causing not only Eijun but another nearby second year to flinch back. Haruichi chuckled nervously and Alexia sighed heavily. "I'll be fine. I'm more worried about you. Coach is giving you the mid game. Can you handle it?" Alexia asked as she cocked an eyebrow at him.

Eijun puffed out his chest. "Of course! I'm going to set a new personal best, even if I haven't had the chance to pitch much!"

"Why haven't you? I though you were paired up with a third-year?" Alexia asked curiously.

Eijun humphed. "He always leaves practice early and never catches for me! I think he hates me and wants to prevent me from being a pitcher!" He cried.

Alexia narrowed her eyes in thought. "First of all, quiet down or I'll follow through on my promise. Second, didn't he give you that training menu? I looked it over once and it looked like it was to build muscle and strengthen your body to prevent injury."

"I've been doing it, but he still won't let me pitch!" Eijun wailed.

Alexia snapped and lunged at the boy, locking him into a headlock. The nearby players all jumped back at her sudden movements and Haruichi stood to the side, unsure what to do. "I told you to quit yelling my ear off. After the game, let me take a good look at that plan. I'll see what exactly he's having you do and give you my opinion, okay?"

"F-fine. Can-can't breath," Eijun choked out. Alexia released him from her strangle hold and he fell to his knees gasping for air. "You aren't just like Miyuki, you're also like Kuramochi," he complained, although this time quieter.

Alexia smirked at that. "So you should know not to piss me off then." Just as she finished speaking the coach walked in to the dug out. All of the players immediately turned their attention to him and stood at attention as side from Eijun who was still on the ground and Alexia who stood leaning with her arms crossed.

The coach's gaze lingered for a second over the two of them but he didn't say anything. Instead he addressed the team. "This may be a practice match and you may be the second-string. Regardless, I am still expecting you each to play to the best of your abilities. Go out there and show them what Seido is capable of."

The dugout echoed as all of the players yelled in agreement. Alexia flinch slightly from the noise, still not used to the entirely different attitude from her team in America. The coach cleared his throat and spoke again.

"There has been a slight change in the pitcher line up. Kawashima, you are pitching from the first to the third. Sawamura with pitch from the fourth to the sixth. Alexia will pitch from the seventh to the nineth. Each of you should be prepared to go in earlier and to pitch your best. Understood?"

"Yes, sir," Alexia said along with Kawashima. Eijun yelled as well, even louder than necessary. Alexia felt a small smile on her face. She had made it known that she hated going by her family name, but it was still a pleasant surprise that the coach referred to her by her given name. A few players shot her questioning looks and she heard some hushed whispers. She shoved them to the side, however, just excited to finally be able to play again.

She made her way to the redhead Kawashima and gave him a small smile. "Do your best out there. Open strong," she said simply.

Kawashima glared at her before turning away. "I fully intend to. I don't need your luck," he said, his voice hard.

Alexia smirked. "That's why I didn't give it." He turned, surprise evident on his face before he quickly steeled himself again. "Give 'em hell."

He nodded simply before he made his way onto the field with the rest of Seido's starting line up. Alexia went to the fence, eyes trained onto the field with full focus. The other members had already been introduced to this side of her. Once she was tuned into the game, nothing else was on her radar. None of them bothered her and Haruichi stood silently at her side, watching as well with one eye staying on Eijun.

The coach silently watched Alexia. He smirked to himself as he heard her conversation with Kawashima and even he felt himself be pulled into her intense gaze as she scanned the other team, sizing them up. He pulled his eyes away, assessing the field. He had heard some stories about her from her old school, most of which he had dismissed as exaggerations. However, as she tuned into the game, her gaze unwavering and analytical, he felt himself grow excited to see just what this girl was capable of.