Chapter Thirty-Eight | Garden

Start from the beginning

"Oh, those two were so in love," Aunt Esme said wistfully. "Your father took one look at your mother, and he knew she was the one. They did not even wait until the season ended to get married. It caused quite the scandal and I advised him to take it slow, but they were in love and he did not want to be apart from her for even a second longer. Unfortunately, while the marriage was happy, your mother became someone people envied and gossiped about. The duke loved her unconditionally and was not afraid to show it while other ladies in London often had terribly unhappy marriages."

"And what good did that love and devotion do to her in the end?" James said flatly. "She died soon after his death."

Aunt Esme gave him a careful look. "Some say she couldn't bare being separated from him; she died because of a broken heart."

James snorted and spoke before he even knew what he was saying "And what about my broken heart?!"

Even if he not expected to say those words, he knew it to be true. After the death of his father, his mother never smiled. She had remained melancholy and nothing James did could coax those lips to turn upwards as they used to. Even when he sought her out, his mother would turn him over to his governess, preferring to be alone in her misery.

A hand covered his own and James froze. It was very rare that Aunt Esme gave him any sort of affection, she knew he did not like it. Nevertheless, it was a nice feeling, and he did not remove his hand from beneath hers.

"It was too much James," she said softly before clearing her throat. "Your mother loved you, even if she sometimes struggled to show it to you. You were in her heart every single moment of the day. Her dying words to me were to take care of you and show you the happiness and love she could not."

James had not known that his mother remembered him till her death. He always believed that when he left for Eton, she had forgotten her son. But if what Aunt Esme said was the truth, she had remembered him. A sense of warmth spread through his body at that thought.

"Someday, when you love someone just as much as she loved your father, you will understand. I did not get the chance to experience that love, but it is my dearest wish that you do so, my dear. Maybe then you'll be able to let go of that resentment that festers in you."

"I'm not—"

"Your Grace."

James quickly removed his hand from beneath his aunt's and stood abruptly, knocking the walking cane into the grass. He picked it up, feeling rather foolish. "Yes?"

"A package has arrived from the Earl of Westmorland. I have placed it in your office." Preston said, bowing once.

James' forehead scrunched. He had not exactly spoken to the Earl after leaving his townhouse to deal with Sophia. He had no idea what the Earl would be sending him. Clearing his throat James said, "Thank you for informing me. I'll be right there."

He looked back at his great-aunt, who almost had a sad and nostalgic smile playing upon her lips. "Oh James, don't you worry about an old lady like me. I'll be fine," she said in a gruff voice.

James glanced at her once, still deep in thought before he nodded, "I'll see you at dinner."

She did not respond, still thinking about what, James did not know. Pushing their conversation out of his mind, he walked back inside the house, briskly making his way to the office. James saw a small package covered in a brown sheet laying neatly on his desk. There was a simple note attached to the top of it.

Our conversation was cut short last week Lennox, but I hope this satisfies whatever curiosity raised your hackles. I cannot undue the actions of my foolish brother, but I have spoken to my solicitor and will be in touch soon.

-Westmorland

James tossed the note to the side and ripped opened the package. His fingers traced the painting in confusion, it was a miniature of a small blonde-haired girl with green eyes. There was some familiarity upon seeing the girl's expression, but he did not understand why the earl believed he would be interested in it.

Grabbing his quizzing glass, he held it over the miniature, taking in every detail. The artwork was done expertly with rich colours, and fine strokes. With the quizzing glass hovering over the painting, he tried remembering why it looked so familiar. The child was wearing a necklace, but only the chain was visible. He frowned, had he seen the child before? Or the necklace?

And then it came to him, and the miniature slipped from his hand, creating a small thud as it fell onto the carpets. He grabbed the nearest chair and sank into it.

He let out a bitter laugh. Oh, he had been extremely foolish, it had been under his nose the entire time. The door to his study opened with a brief knock as Preston walked in. "I heard a loud noise; is everything alright Your Grace?"

James took a deep breath, steadying his nerves. Ignoring his butler's question, he issued a command. "Bring Lady Vivienne to me at once." 

----------------

We learn quite a bit about James in this chapter and why he is the way he is. Why do you guys think James has summoned Vivienne? Also, sorry about the shorter chapter, I split this into two because it was too long.