I couldn't do anything more about it just then except worry, and like I always tell my readers, you can't solve a problem by worrying about it. So I put the note in the front pocket of my backpack where I'd know exactly where it was and got started on my homework.  

When I came downstairs for dinner about two hours later, I brought with me a stack of articles I'd printed off the Internet. I might not know what to do about my mysterious note, but I did know how to help my parents. I paused in the kitchen doorway-I smelled spaghetti and chocolate cake. Mom had made my favorite dinner. Is that normal when telling your children you're getting a divorce, to soften the blow with food?  

"Jill, we need to talk this over," my dad began as soon as I sat down. "Your mother and I are worried that you weren't really listening to us earlier."  

"I was listening, and what I heard is that you feel you've fallen out of love. I did some research this afternoon, and I found some great articles on how to rekindle those old flames." I passed them around, and my parents took them with strange expressions on their faces. "The first article, and my personal favorite, talks about recreating your first date. It says that we get so caught up in the monotony of everyday life that we forget those magic moments. What do you think, Dad? Monotony got you down?"  

My dad cleared his throat. "We appreciate what you're trying to do, but Jill, we've already tried all this. We've met for lunch and we've taken walks together and we've met with an additional counselor. We've even done stuff that's not on this list, and it's just not working. Believe me, we've tried."  

"Honey, people grow apart," Mom said from the other side of the table. "It's not anyone's fault-it just happens."  

A suspicion crossed my mind, and while I had no proof and certainly didn't think it was possible, I had to ask. "Did either of you have an affair?"  

My mom looked shocked. "Of course not."  

Her answer didn't surprise me. I don't think there's an affair-having type, necessarily, but if there was, my parents would be about as far away from it as you can get. "Then maybe this wouldn't be hard to fix." I flipped through my stack and pulled out another article. "Dr. Leon Horowitz says that infidelity is the hardest thing to overcome in a marriage-followed closely by financial stress-but cheating can be forgiven. He included a list of books for every type of marital problem. See?" I needed to get them to understand-maybe then the knot in my stomach would go away. 

"Jill, it's time to stop."  

I looked up at my father's firm voice.  

"You're seventeen and nearly an adult. You're old enough to understand that life doesn't always turn out the way we hope. We need your support in this, and the longer you spend in denial, the more difficult it will be all the way around."  

Logic was probably going to be my best defense. "I looked up the cost of maintaining a separate household. Check out these utility costs alone, Dad. I'm not sure I can support this decision." I slid the piece of paper across to him. He didn't look at it.  

"I shouldn't have said 'support.' What I meant was that we need your cooperation, whether or not you agree with what we're doing. Jill, are you listening to us at all?" 

"Of course I am. Listening is what I do best."  

"Then please hear us," my mom pleaded.  

I didn't have an answer for that. It was probably in there somewhere, but I didn't know how to bring it to the surface.  

*** 

I woke up the next morning with a vague feeling of dread, like my subconscious had been mulling something over in my sleep and I hadn't been able to escape it. The situation with my parents flitted across my brain, but I pushed it to the back and allowed the mysterious note to take front and center.  

When I got to school, the hallways were quiet except for the occasional clicking of a teacher's high heels on the floor. I entered Ms. Young's office and handed her the note without any fanfare. 

She read it over with a worried look on her face. "Thanks for bringing this to me, Jill. You did the right thing."  

"What are you going to do with it?" I hoped she wouldn't ask me to respond to it in the column. I had no idea what to say.  

Ms. Young took off her glasses and laid them on her desk. "According to the law, I have to report it." 

"You do?" That made sense, but it also make the whole thing seem more serious, like confirmation that it wasn't a joke and there really was a hurting kid in this school somewhere. 

"Yes. The trouble is knowing who to report. There aren't a lot of clues here."  

"Yeah, I was pretty perplexed by that too."  

"Leave it to me-I'll ask some questions and see what I can figure out. I'll probably bring Mr. Leffert in on this-he's the one with the most experience."  

While not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, Mr. Leffert was an awesome school counselor, and I nodded. He'd handle this well.  

"You'd better get to class." Ms. Young smiled at me. "You're doing a great job, Jill. I read your column for tomorrow's edition-you're really developing a flair for words."  

"Thanks." I blushed a little under her praise. If I were to make a list of all the people I wanted to emulate-and really, I should do that, like a goal sheet or something-Ms. Young would be among the top five, easy. She was pretty and confident and smart and nice-and she had a great shoe wardrobe. I know there's more to life than shoes, but they're a crucial part-I mean, can you imagine walking around in the snow barefoot? You probably could if you got used to it, but who wants to get used to it?  

Amanda caught up with me as I was leaving Ms. Young's office. "Hey, you're here early."  

Yeah, it was surprising-most mornings I got there just in time to dive in. "I needed to talk to Ms. Young about something. I'm sorry-I can't say more about it. Confidential newspaper stuff."  

"No worries." Amanda was awesome-she really did understand. "So I tried to IM you last night. Where were you? I thought you'd be doing homework."  

"I did that as soon as I got home." For a second I considered telling her about my parents' announcement, but decided against it. Once they had a chance to read those articles, they'd change their minds, and it would be awkward having to take it all back publicly. The fewer people who knew about it, the better, in my opinion.  

Amanda didn't comment on my change in routine. "Okay. Well, what I wanted to ask . . ."  

"Good morning, ladies." Dylan came up behind us and fell into step. "I'm ready for another awesome day. How about you?"  

"Sure," Amanda said with a giggle. "I could go for one of those."  

"And how do you arrange that?" I asked. "Is it like calling for pizza?"  

"No, it's easier than that. You decide to make it happen." Dylan grinned. "Yesterday I decided I was going to make two friends, and I did. I hadn't planned on you both being so smokin', but that was just a very nice added bonus."  

I rolled my eyes. Someone needed to take away this guy's happy pills.  

"Today I think we should all conquer something difficult. We should choose something that scares us, leap in, and just do it. What do you say?"  

"I'm in," Amanda said. "How about you, Jill?"  

"I don't know. I'll think about it." I paused by the doorway to my classroom. "Bell's about to ring. I'll catch you guys later."  

I sat through first period with far too many thoughts running through my mind, and when I walked out of the room an hour later, I realized I hadn't heard one word the teacher had said. I must not have gotten enough sleep-I'd have to be sure to go to bed a little earlier that night. Then I'd be back to normal.