Quirks of the Past

Izuku's second quirk was surprisingly Deadeye. He'd been skipping stones at Dagobah beach with his mother, when the stone hopped once, twice, three times, and kept going.

  Izuku stared in shock, watching the stone jump off into the distance. The greenette frowned, choosing another stone.

  This one made it over the horizon too.

  "Deadeye. You can do a lot more than just skip stones with it you know. Anything you throw, you can control it, to an extent. Would you like to try?" Second asked.

  Izuku nodded at his predecessor.

  ___________

  Izuku was training Deadeye with Second one day when another quirk manifested. He'd dropped a stick, and reached out to grab it. A thin black tendril emerged from the back of his hand, lashing out and grabbing the stick, placing it gently into Izuku's hand.

  Daigoro cheered, ruffling Izuku's hair.

  "Nice one kid! Ya got my quirk now! We can get to training it straight away!" He exclaimed.

  Izuku smiled at his predecessor.

  "Yes Daigoro!"

________________

  Izuku manifested Danger Sense during Second's 'surprise' Deadeye training. There was a quiet buzz in Izuku's mind, and he turned and caught Second's surprise projectile.

  Hikage smiled.

  "Danger Sense is a passive quirk, so it does not require much training. You just need to learn to interpret what the various alerts mean." He explained.

_______________

  The Third's Brace manifested quite a while later. It was a semi passive quirk, but it further strengthened temporarily when activated. Second and Third had been teaching Izuku how to fight, just the basics of basics, and the greenette didn't even feel Second's swat at his head.

  Thirds eyes lit up, and he grinned at Izuku.

  "Alright buddy, Brace is a passive quirk, but you can power it up for a while by activating it! Training increases your durability over time, and eventually you'll be able to take buildings on your head!" He exclaimed, like an eager puppy.

  Izuku laughed, smiling at his predecessor.

  "Please teach me Third!"

____________

  Smokescreen manifested during sparring. Izuku was trying to stay hidden, and a thick black fog rolled off of his body. En just chuckled quietly.

  "Smokescreen is quite difficult to control, or restrain. Sometimes the smoke you release can be thicker than you want, because the quirk is influenced by your panicked mental state, and just wants you to be hidden from danger. It can be overcome with training." He said, his eyes curling into a smile.

  Izuku waved the smoke away, nodding to his predecessor.

________________

  It was when Izuku turned 11 that they began to believe something was wrong. He'd put on some decent muscle, and had trained the predecessor's quirks to mastery of them. The problem was...

  He couldn't activate One for All itself.

  Izuku could feel the energy buzzing just beneath his skin, but he couldn't quite pull it to the surface to use it. He couldn't use his strongest weapon against All for One. The past users of One for All were worried, but they hoped that UA could draw the quirk out. If it couldn't...