•ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1•

Start from the beginning

"Well, Nonno isn't in charge, I am." My voice elevated.

"But—" he tried to make his lip quiver.

"No means no Nicolai. Go start your homework. I need to talk to Mr. Wimble."

Nicolai glanced in Jacob's direction and smiled lightly.

"It's easy tonight buddy. Just drawing your family okay?"

Nicolai nodded and pushed himself from my legs, scooped his book bag from the floor, and sat at one of the kiddie round tables in the classroom.

I didn't like being hard on Nicky, but I've experienced firsthand what happens when someone goes their whole life getting their way and finally gets told no.

I sighed and returned to my desk as Jacob plopped his paint-stained jeans on the edge of my desk. I ran my hands over my face and spoke through my hands.

"How's he been doing?"

"He's been okay. I had the kids that were bullying him moved to another class. That seemed to help. He's getting a lot more creative."

I'd been a kindergarten teacher for about three years at Wellard Prep and Jacob was still the only person here that I trusted enough with part of my story and Nicolai's well-being.

There weren't many single mothers that had children in this school, but with the job they made a few exceptions. Jacob made sure I felt comfortable when we arrived. At first his intentions were unclear, but he assured me he understood the impact of a helping hand when everyone is too busy clutching their pearls. For that I was grateful.

"What about at home?"

My eyes broke their bond with Nicolai for a second to meet with Jacob's.

"He has good and bad days,"—I sighed—"he's still asking about his father....a lot more now since those kids."

"I'm really sorry about that Monroe. How many years has it been since his death again?"

A cold draining feeling ran over me as my lips pulled together, "Five years."

Jacob turned his attention back to Nick, "Give him time. I'm sure he'll be fine. Let me know what he draws. I'll put it with his file."

I sat quiet, my eyes fixed in front of me.

"Monroe? Roe?" Jacob called and reached out to me.

I jerked my arm away and glared at my friend, "What?"

"I said, I'll put what he draws in his file."

"Oh, yeah. Okay, thanks J."

Jacob smiled gently and punched his thigh lightly. "Welp, I'd better get going. I have a ton of work to take home with me."

A smirk curled my smile and my eyes locked on to his paint stained pants. "You mean disinfecting brushes and cleaning the floor from orange paint?"

He rolled his eyes and walked backward towards Nicolai. "Maybe. Maybe I'll be putting more orange paint on somebody tonight."

"Such a waste of paint," I replied as I scrunched my face up and giggled.

Jacob ruffled Nicky's curls and winked. "Not when I use it. See you buddy."

I grabbed my purse from the floor and shooed my friend towards the door.

"Get away from my child with your nastiness before you taint him."

He laughed, sticking his tongue out and wiggling it, "You know about that too, don't act like you don't know girl."

"Say goodbye to Mr.Wimble, Nicky," I called out loudly and Jacob put his tongue back as Nicolai turned around and waved.