Chapter Thirteen

*Updated on February 26, 2015*

Dedicated to:

@fabnewtmas

@obsessive15

@Shatoo123

@arushigarg123

-----

Thomas" POV:

About an hour later, Tommy had woken up and was starting to jump around in his cot a little. Skylar had yet to wake up, so I figured I might as well get Tommy some breakfast and change him into his clothes. Luckily, I had been over here often enough to know where to find everything.

I carried Tommy down the stairs, and pulled out a couple boxes of cereal. After putting him in his high chair and putting some dry cereal on the tray, I got a bowl and milk for me. Tommy was mostly silent as he ate, except for the occasional shouts. Thankfully, I was used to them by now.

Ten minutes went by and Tommy and I had finished our breakfast. I let him out of his high chair to walk around while I put my dishes in the sink and put the milk back in the refrigerator.

Tommy began pulling on my jeans, trying to gain my attention.

I looked down at him, and he stretched his arms up toward me as he balled his hands into fists, and then stretched his fingers out repeatedly.

“Want me to pick you up?” I asked, raising my eyebrows slightly. Tommy nodded his head, keeping his arms up. “Alright. Want to go play with your toys?” I asked as I bent down to grab him. He nodded his head a second time, and I began walking back toward the stairs.

Once I arrived at the play room, I decided I should check on Skylar again. I set Tommy down and watched as he walked to his rug and plopped down in the middle with a car in each hand. After making sure he was settled, I went back to Skylar’s bedroom.

The door creaked a little as I slowly pushed it open. Skylar was still in bed, but due to the fact that her back was facing me, I wasn’t positive if she was asleep or not.

“Skylar?” I whispered, hoping to get a reply from her. All that I got was silence. I thought about walking to the other side of her bed just to be sure she was still asleep, but decided against it after a minute or so.

I returned to the play room to find Tommy with a book in his hands, turned toward me. I looked at the cover, and noticed what book he was holding. I remember it from my childhood. The famous Dr. Seuss’ “One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish”. Before I could say anything, the toddler walked over to me, and grabbed my hand from my side. He led me to the rug in the middle of the room, and pulled down to get me to sit. It wasn’t long before he let himself fall back onto my lap and began turning the pages of the old story. Once on the first page, he turned to look at me, waiting for me to read for him.

“Alright then. One fish two fish, red fish blue fish.” I decided to take the book into my own hands, and turned to page while Tommy admired the pictures.

“Black fish blue fish, old fish new fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are.” When I turned to the next page, Tommy began giggling and pointing at the illustration on the bottom left corner. There was a yellow fish with a red Mohawk.

“Does that fish look funny?” I asked him. He nodded his head and covered his still giggling mouth with his little hands.

“Yes. Some are red. And some are blue. Some are old. And some are new. Some are sad. And some are glad. And some are very, very bad. Why are they sad and glad and bad? I do not know. Go ask your dad.” I gripped the edge of the paper, and began to flip it over to continue the story, before Tommy stopped me. He put his finger on the last word of the page, and I realized what had caused him to do so.