“Damn these bars.” I said softly, as if to myself. I tried to squeeze a tear out of my eyes, but had to settle for looking at the ceiling like I was trying to hold back tears. “I always daydreamed about meeting you. You always hugged me when I imagined it. It would be nice.”

        Adam tilted his head. “A hug?”

        “Oh.” I said sheepishly, as if he weren’t supposed to have heard me. “Sorry, I was just thinking out loud.”

        “Well, I think that I too, would like a hug.” He said, reaching into the pocket of his suit and producing a key. “We don’t have anything that is quite as high tech as the Guardians. For prisoners, that is.” He offered as an explanation as he unlocked the door of the cage and swung it open.

        “Am I a prisoner then father?” I asked, keeping my voice soft as I slowly moved out of the cage.

        “Only until you’re bitten.” He crooned to me, his arms open. “Then you will be free to roam whereever you wish.” Stepping into his arms, I did a quick inventory of my body. While my stitches were sore, they didn’t feel like they had been torn open. I was still wearing the uniform I had been given, including the boots.

         A thought occurred to me as we embraced, a little minion in my mind playing devil's advocate. If the Lycans would be able to choose when they shifted, would it be such a bad thing? I hadn’t lied to him earlier when I said being worshiped would be nice, and if the Lycans were able to control themselves, maybe I could convince them to survive solely on animals. Realizing what a dangerous turn my thoughts had taken, and steeled my bleeding heart.

         I asked Adam, “When I’m bitten, and I turn other Lycans, would we still retain the ability to think logically? Or would we still be…controlled by our animal instincts for a time?” I had almost said mindless dogs, but thought better of it. I was so close to winning him over, I could feel it.

        He stroked my hair. “Oh my dear, we are all ravenous for a short time. Your progeny would be no different."

         I couldn’t do this. I had no idea how long I would have to play along. I couldn't gamble on when Adam would bite me. I looked at the door of the room, and realized that I would have to fight my way out of wherever I was by myself. I wouldn’t go along with the insanity that my father was thinking of. His orders had killed Robert. He’d attacked and attempted to change Lina, and it was he, not Kory, who had messed up my life.

        He pulled back from the hug and then held up my arm, pulling my sleeve down away from my wrist. “This will hurt for a short amount of time my dear, and for that I am sorry.”

         Divining his intentions, I turned on my slow motion abilities, and as his head bent toward my wrist, his mouth open wide and canines already elongating, I turned my hand so that I had a good hold of his arm. He turned his face to me questioningly as I readied myself for the fight to come.

        “Never. You crazy, egotistical, slavering dog!” I jumped up, using my levitation as well as the leverage I had on his arm to kick him square in the chest, pulling my arm away from him as I did so. He flew back, as did I, but my flight was controlled whereas his was not.

        He crashed into the dresser I had admired earlier, which fell on top of him, making gritty, bone crunching sounds. I landed with both feet on the floor, turning off both my levitation and my slow motion abilities. One thing I had learned from my previous mistakes was that I needed to conserve my abilities for when I really needed them. I knew that Adam wasn’t dead, there was no way I would be that lucky.

        Still, I was startled when the ruins of the dresser were thrown at me. I jumped to the side, rolling to avoid the splinters and pieces of mirror that flew through the air. I shot to my feet, standing so that my back was to the wall.

        I was terrified as I saw Adam, standing practically unscathed, growling at me. His face was twisted into a mask of rage, spittle spraying from his mouth as he spoke. “You little bitch. I should’ve known that you were an accomplished liar, just like your mother. Know this. You will be bitten! You will transform! And our new era will begin no matterr what! In a few minutes, you won’t be able to help yourself. You will be loyal to me in truth!” Faster than my mind could comprehend and my eyes could track, Adam shifted. 

         His clothes tattered and floated down through the air while I stared at him in his lycan form. He was bigger than any Lycan I had seen thus far, having to bend down so his head didn’t touch the ceiling. All of his teeth were elongated, ivory colored weapons protruding from his jaw like razor sharp knives.  He was big, he was scary, and he was angry with me.