Chapter 22

I feel an ache in my stomach, extinguishing the emerging fire, leaving nothing but the smoky residue of desolation. 

Why is he leaving?

But more importantly, why do I keep caring so much?

I do not dare to look at the door, because I'm too busy wallowing in self-pity at the moment. Why can't it just be easy? Why can't I just find a simple man, with a simple mind and a simple attitude? Why can't I just live a simple life with a simple boyfriend? 

Everything is so complicated and after Thierry, I don't know if I'm in the mood or even have enough energy to figure out another man. Luckily I told Jesse he would need to put in a hell of a lot of effort before I would even consider spending my time with him romantically. 

If only it weren't so hard to keep that promise to myself as well... 

I blame it on his perfect cheekbones... 

I'm drinking my water as I'm being struck with the realization that I haven't heard my door close. 

That's weird?

I gather the last bit of courage I have left inside of me this evening and look over my shoulder, only to find Jesse on his knees in front of my door trying to fix it. 

Well, that's a sight for sore eyes...

Sloppy curls lying loosely on top of his head, he's using the little motion he has in his hands to try and make something for me

I mean, in all fairness, he's the one who broke it. However, he did that to protect me as well. 

I lean against my kitchen sink as I take in the sight of him, no matter how often I get to stare at him on the stand in the chamber, I can't get enough of him. 

A loose strand of hair hangs over his forehead, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it, he's too busy focussing on the broken lock. His eyes are focussed as well, calculated. He carries the same look when either Mark or Sigrid is on the stand.  I wonder what that means...

I feel like I know him, but I simultaneously feel like I have no idea who this man sitting in front of my front door is. 

Then I remember something that happened at the bar. 

I walk over to him, determinedly, in need of answers. When I near him, I softly push my hand against the door, closing it. I need his attention. He doesn't look at me straight away, but he pulls up his eyebrows and sits back on his knees. 

I'm not sure if he's agitated or just surprised, but I guess I don't really care. 

I wrap my fingers softly around his chin and gently lift it so he faces me and we make eye contact. The moment we do, my stomach turns in apprehension. 

I'm not sure if I'll like the answer to the question I'm going to ask, but I have to know it regardless. 

I look at him thoughtfully, my fingers rubbing the stubble of his strong jaw, licking my lips before speaking. 

'What was Thierry talking about before you got into a fight with him?'

He looks at me with genuine confusion resting on his face. 

'What do you-'

'The threat.'

I interrupt. His nostrils flare slightly as he tries to maintain a confused expression but I see straight through it. 

'I-' 

He starts, shaking his head, but he stops quickly knowing I caught him. 

He looks down, clenching his jaw. 

I move my fingers to rest underneath his chin and lift it once again delicately, making sure not to push him. 

'Talk to me.' 

I say, more like begging than forcing. That is when I see the irony in the way he treats people versus the way he has to be treated. If I were as assertive with him as he is with me, Thierry wouldn't be the only one with a black eye right now... 

I don't mind his assertiveness though, sure it can be quite annoying when he doesn't listen and acts like a deranged five-year-old sometimes. But even though he acts like it's because "he does whatever he feels like" I think his behavior is most justified by the fact that it comes from a place of care. Even though he would probably never admit to that and he most definitely doesn't know how to show it in a normal or proper way. It's kind of endearing. 

He sighs deeply before he speaks. 

'I threatened him not to hurt you anymore or he would be sorry.' 

Jesse Klaver POV

I mean it's not entirely a lie, it's at least the half-truth. 

Rob looks at me, slightly squinting his eyes. He's probably contemplating whether he should believe me or keep pushing for the entire truth. 

He looks pleased to get a reasonable answer out of me but also conflicted about not knowing if I'm being fully honest with him. I don't blame him, I'm a great liar. I learned that from the best. 

I never had a problem with it, it has always gotten me where I needed to be, but with him it's different. 

It doesn't feel... good

For fucks sake, don't tell me this dude is making me grow a conscious all of the sudden... 

I try to distract him by focussing on something at my eye level. But he doesn't let me enjoy it for too long when he walks away rolling his eyes. Cutie. 

Ew, gross, I did not just think that... Wtf... 

I finish with his door, it took me a little under an hour and some of Rob's tools. 

He pretended to know all the names of the different keys I asked for, proudly bringing them to me. I couldn't bring myself to tell him he only had half of them correct. 

This guy really is turning me into a softie... Luckily I had the tools in my hands to keep my masculinity grounded... 

We spend a little time talking by the kitchen counter, or well, Rob spent time talking to me whilst I spent time staring at him thinking about a whole lot of other things I could be doing to him. 

My phone rings and when I grab it to look who it is, I see that it's already 2 am. 

I might have to call an ambulance due to the shade of white Rob turns over the words I speak next. 

'It's my wife.'

- Chapter 22 besties, Happy Hemelvaart weekend! 

Were you as shocked as Rob by the phone call??

I just posted another #Resse TikTok for the ones who like them :)  @xoxodutchgirl0

XOXO Your favorite Dutch girl

PS. I feel like I should put another quick little disclaimer; obviously, none of the details about this story is based on actual true events. Just the characters and some political viewpoints, the rest is pure fiction (like Jesse's relationship with his dad et cetera). Kind of like our own little alternative universe <3