Chapter 7

Rob Jetten 

My body feels heavy as I drag my feet up to my apartment. I grab the shiny golden doorknob as it makes me think of the ray of sunlight illuminating Jesse's beautiful face the other day on the roof. 

No, I can't do this today. I've taken the rest of the day off work to gather myself, not to wallow more in one of the two overly complicated men in my life. 

I lay my briefcase on the kitchen counter next to the sink. Water. I need water, the headache I'm feeling is probably just due to dehydration. I fill up a large glass of icy cold water and down it within a few seconds. But all the cold liquid does, is remind me of Thierry's touch. 

I fill up another glass as I take it with me to the couch. I place it on an auburn-colored coaster, to which I lie my phone next. As I do so, Huffiepuff jumps on my lap. 

'Hey there, sweetheart, have you missed your ol' dad?'

Huffie used to be a stray cat before I adopted her. She has a few spots here and there, but furthermore, she is mostly white. Or well, off-white, she likes to play around in the garden a lot. Okay, really it is just a balcony, but I created my own little garden a few years back because I missed nature. Don't get me wrong, I like living in the city and being close to work. But it makes me feel empty sometime. Nature helps me fill that gap. At least for a little while. 

I love everything it provides, the colors, the smell, the rain, the fruits, and vegetables, but mostly the animals. I have these moments when it gets too painful to see how humanity destroys our planet. It is moments like these I like to retrieve to my own little garden with Huffie, it helps me cope. Seeing the animals just being animals makes me smile, it gives me hope. Something I seem to lose more than once in a while. 

I grab a sketchbook from the mahogany bookcase behind the couch and I take it outside. I spend a little over an hour on the balcony, drawing whatever is around me. I start with Huffie, cute little thing. Next, I draw my lovely tomato plant, and finally of course my-

*Ring ring...*

I hear my phone ringing from the dining table and stand up to walk inside. Must be a friend that I know from work. As I reach the table, the call ends. 

Sigrid? There must be something important for her to call me, she knows I took a sick day. I go to call her back immediately when I receive a text message from her.

Sorry, wrong Rob ;) Are you ok?

I wonder if she really intended to call another Rob, or if it is just an excuse to check in on me. She gets a little worried about me sometimes, I tell her there's no need for it, but I guess it is just how she shows her love. 

I'm okay, just spending some time outside with Huffie :)

I go to lay my phone down when I spot an old message from Jesse

Stop torturing yourself over someone that looks like a thumb.